link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Expletives... | Priester Photography

Expletives...

It has come to my attention that there are some people out there who don't know what expletives are.

Webster says this:

expletive n.  1.  An exclamation, often profane.
                   2.  A word or syllable employed to fill out a sentence, complete a rythmical pattern, etc.

We'll be dealing with the expletive as an exclamation today, though not the profane exclamations.

You should never, ever use the profane kind.

Ever.

One time, I used the profane kind of expletive as I was falling out of a tree in our front yard and my dad happened to be standing on the porch within earshot.

I got grounded.

I don't think that was fair.

I was falling out of a tree, for crying out loud!  ("for crying out loud" is an expletive...it adds nothing to the meaning of the sentence but adds strength of feeling)

I would never be so unjust to MY children.

We're now going to discuss the following pictures of the lovely M, occasionally using the non-profane expletives.

Wowza shambowza, (expletive) this is wonderful.

I almost trashed this image in it's unedited form because of the foreground bokeh on her face.  I'm so glad I didn't because it's one of my favorite shots.  It looks like I intentionally placed the grass/wheat/weeds around both of her eyes.  I wish I was that good.

Oh sweet gerbera daisy!...(expletive) this one is so peaceful, graceful and dreamy.

Can you say, "black and white is fantabulous"?  I can.

This stinkin' (expletive) picture is rockin' the painted look and me loves it.
I ♥ polaroids.

Ok. Are you ready to blow your mind with intellectual stimuli?

An expletive can also be the word "there" or "it"...because it fills a vacancy in a sentence without adding meaning.

An example:

1. It is my opinion that this picture is captivating.
2.  In my opinion, this picture is captivating.

In the first sentence, "it" is an expletive which is replaced in the second sentence by "in".

Question:

If  "it" can be an expletive and expletives can be profane, can saying "it" be profanity?
B

*Disclaimer...I can not be held accountable for incorrect explanations of the English language on this blog.  I've never been to college and hold no degrees of any kind, particularly in English or grammar...though I did almost win a spelling bee once.  In other words, don't rely on this blog as research material for your homework or thesis.

12 comments:

WSMIL said...

I am often overwhelmed by swamping love for you, and it catches me at the oddest times. This would be one of those times! Well done!!!


PS: The pictures of Em are great too, especially the one under the tree (makes me think of you or me)

PSS: I'm not sure if any expletives were used in the making of this comment but I do know they weren't profane:)

Bell Lee Button said...

OMG!!!!!!!!! (expletive)-i guess. That was ah-mazing!!!!!! I love all of them particularly the one that is "graceful and dreamy," but all of them, nonetheless, are astonishing! Truly amazing work B! Wow......what else can i say? I wish i could take a shot like M. Wowzers! I swear any guy who looks on here would be very surprised.

Bell Lee Button said...

Did that come out wrong????? What i meant was that some guy would come on here just like..lalalala...then bam! Wow there's a hottie! Haha. And that is what i meant!

B said...

Nice recovery B.L.Button.
:0
B

Bookworm said...

This is not even funny.
At all.
Ever.
Ever.
Ugh!
STILL jealous!

WSMIL said...

Your just sorry with a name like Bookworm she didn't take one of you under the tree with a book:) And I have to say that I totally agree with you! We should immediately head over there and pose artfully under her trees until she takes the hint:) (and in my case I hope she has upgraded her photoshop, need all the help I can get you know)

Lunsford said...

Wait there are explatives that are not profane? I wish I could tell that to my 9 year old self, it would have saved a lot of trouble. But then I'm sure my 9 year old self would just find another way to get into trouble. I think I have found one of those time travel paradoxes you hear so much about. Sorry in a weird mood I guess. I love the pictures. I want to say I am glad I don't have to be the one with the big stick keeping the boys away from her, but I know my turn is comming way to fast so I will just stick with wow.

Lunsford said...

By the way little miss bookworm...
You have nothing to be jealous of, we have all seen what happened when the beuty that is you got together with the genious that is B.

WSMIL said...

Ditto to the above by Lunsford! Takes one Beauty to be jealous of another:) We the little people just sit around and smile (because we aren't your mothers who need the sticks). And yes Lunsford you are going to need a big stick if your daughter is as beautiful as you are. But then again she has 3 brothers they can be a mighty big stick:)

PS: B saw your work in the paper from this week (NICE) Would have known it was yours even if I hadn't seen it before. And you ask how would I have known because of the Genius that Lunsford mentioned.

Lunsford said...

When I looked at these the first time I knew the last picture made me think of something but I could not place it. After a second look I realize it makes me think of the movie The Birds, like a scene in the beggining when Tippi Hedron has no idea the birds are going to start attacking everyone. She is just so oblivious to the birds hovering over her head. It's a fantastic image, well done B.

M-a-licious said...

I completly agree with Lunsford. As soon as I saw that picture, I thought THE BIRDS.

Bookworm said...

WSMIL: Major photoshop 4 me.
You work at an eye doc.! Get ur glasses upgraded!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .