link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> A Public Apology... | Priester Photography

A Public Apology...

sneak peak first, then apology.

Here is the growing Mills family.
You'll see more of them later. More because I'll be finishing up their maternity session and also more because I'll be doing their newborn session when the little fellow makes his entrance into the world.

Yeah! A new mold-able, flexible, tiny (or not so tiny) newborn to take pictures of!

Stay tuned for that.

Now the apology...

Mrs. Mills (above) informed me during their session that she has the same camera as I do and that she's been told that she's in the wrong field...that she should be a photographer. At which point I went into a lengthy discussion of how I wish I had a better camera and the market is saturated with new photographers because of the digital age, and not everyone can be a photographer, blah, blah, blah. I think I came off sounding very protective of my business and a little egotistical.

Why am I telling you this?

Because I didn't want Mama-to-be Mills to think I was shooting her down...telling her that she can't be a photographer. That's not what I was saying at all. If you want to be a photographer, then do everything you can to be a photographer.

I get frustrated sometimes because people will tell me that my camera takes good pictures. When in actuality my "camera" is just that...a camera. It would be like telling Chopin that his piano makes pretty music or Van Gogh that his paintbrush creates a mean painting. Not that I'm comparing myself to a world class artist...you know what I mean. Right?

People sometimes get the idea that if they have a nice camera they can take nice pictures. And sometimes you can. That doesn't mean that you'll be consistent with it or that you can do it effectively as a means of living.

A fancy camera a photographer does not make.

I may be a slow learner, but it's taken me over 2 years to get where I'm at in my photography knowledge and I still have no idea what I'm really doing. Seriously. The technical aspect is not a walk in the park...particularly the lighting. I sometimes want to quit because of the challenges, but I can't because I love it. I keep shooting because I love it. I would have quit by now if it wasn't for that fact.

So, I apologize Mills family if I sounded haughty or protective of my art or even discouraging or negative. I did not intend to sound that way. If you have a love for photography and a desire to learn then you should give it a try.

I'm all about sharing my love of photography with other people. I know what I know today because other photographers shared their knowledge with me, and I'd love to watch someone else on their journey through the learning process and help if I can. Just don't think it's as easy as point and click because it is so not.

Stepping off of soap box...
B

8 comments:

WSMIL said...

All of us have misspoken somewhere along the way, and when we do apologizing is the right thing to do. That said, if you think any of us think that what you do is point and shoot with a good camera then you are so far off base! Art is art! FNL takes great pictures, with the same camera, but he doesn't do what you do. (and he loves taking pictures ((I have over 200 car photos from the street rod show to prove it!)) We know how long and how hard you have worked to get where you are now. It shows in your work and that's what we love, your unique perspective. Otherwise why would we be on this stupidly addicting blog 3,4,5,6...you get the point, times a day!

PS: can't wait to see more of the Mills family because the sneak peek is good!

Bookworm said...

Again, I hace to agree with everything WSMIL says. Even the part about it being addicting....again. :)

Anonymous said...

just had my fix yeah to photogs and happy
pics

Sandy Skiles said...

"B": Loved your blog from today. You're so funny! Your poor customers though - can't believe you treat them that way!! lol

Anonymous said...

I'm SORRY if I offended you with the lack of creativity comment. Please forgive me. I like the picture of J looking over the back of the chair and your right Ashley does look EVIL. Once again you are the most creative person I no. Ouch that hurt.

Lunsford said...

First of all I am not an addict, I can quit any time I want to. I don't know what is wrong with the rest of you. And B, I am sure that you have given much more thought to your comment than they ever will. My rule of thumb is if the person does not walk away yelling or screaming at me then they were not offended. But then that is just me. I tend to be at the bottom of the careing what other people think scale.

Anonymous said...

i agree w/ the kicking and screaming part...yeah but that is what all addicts say i can stop anytime i want....well i don't want to stop..it satisfies something...i know not what...but it is a necessary thing

WSMIL said...

Ditto to the above 2! I am normally wordy but it can't be said better!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .