link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Book Report... | Priester Photography

Book Report...

A friend (we shall call her Nema), lent me a book and told me I had to read it.

She asked me the next week if I'd read it.

I said I hadn't. I was busy with photography sessions. She shook me by my shoulders and yelled, "You have to read it! NOW, woman! Not tomorrow, but now!"

Not really. She's actually quite a mild person. However, she was politely insistent that I read it soon.

I finished it last night.

I now understand her insistence at my reading it.

It was amazing.

It's "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier...
Just amazing. It will forever be one of my favorites.

I had a new experience with this book as well. Though I frequently purchase my books from junk shops and garage sales I must say that I have never read a book with this much wear.
Just look at it! It was actually falling apart in my hands as I was reading. I was covered in little bits of paper and maroon thread.
I think it added very much to my whole reading experience, especially considering how the book ended (which I won't give away for those of you who haven't read it).
I wasn't sure I was going to like this particular book. I admit it. I wasn't sure I'd like a book that was disintegrating before my eyes and that had no cover telling me what I was to look forward to.
Just a blank, waiting book. No expectations. It was pretty nice.
Then when I opened it and began reading I knew I would be amazed.
Particularly when I got to this page....

This paragraph...
And this sentence...
I love this. I love happiness. I love that the author/subject thinks this way. It makes me happy.
*It's photoshop...I did not mark in your book, Nema.*

I cried several times throughout this book (yes, I cry). It was very much an emotional rollercoaster.
This particular part was very touching, real...something I think of often, of the elderly...
She knew how Maxim's grandmother must have looked when she was young with a nipped in waist and sugar in her pockets for the horses...
What was she feeling now? Did she feel she was being called on as a duty?
Did she realize that people spoke to her in the way they did? Had she grown accustomed to it?
Where was the young woman with the chestnut hair, the nipped in waist, and the sugar for the horses?

Marvelous! Moving! Wonderful words.

As I read this book that I somehow have never heard of, by an author that I somehow only faintly recall, I was thinking, "This would make an awesome Hitchcock movie".

Well. It is. From 1940. And they're currently filming a new one which I'm sure will be nothing like the book...or as good. They never are.

If you're a reader...read this book.

If you're not a reader...start reading...with this book.

Then come thank me (and by extension, Nema).
B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank goodness how can feed off you peoples lives when you give me nothing for 24hrs.and yes it is a fabo book and part of mandantory reading in our family and yes i saw the movie and it was good and no i didn't see it when it came out in black and white but the book is always better than the movie esp when you allow yourself to let go but that author weaves a good always....

WSMIL said...

Keep forgetting how young you are and how much you haven't been exposed to. So let me say how sorry I am for not getting you started on her sooner! But I can and will keep you going with her and then we can let Nema in on those as well.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .