link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Do you flip your pictures? | Priester Photography

Do you flip your pictures?

I've discovered that I have a glitch. I have lots of glitches, but we'll be discussing the "picture flipping glitch" specifically....

When I'm able to hold a picture in my hands (the old fashioned way), I always flip it and look at the back. Always.

I'm not sure what I'm hoping to find there. Maybe I'm hoping to see the name of the person written in their own hand...is their writing sloppy or fancy, girly or manly? Maybe I'm looking for the date so I can get a sense of the time period and think about where I was (or wasn't) when the picture was taken. Maybe I'm looking because I'm hoping there's something interesting, intriguing, or inspiring about that person that I'll only discover if I read what someone wrote on the back of this particular picture.

Maybe I think I'm a detective.

Maybe I'm just nosey.

For whatever reason, I do it. And a picture of myself that I flipped the other day said this:

"I love you!
Brandi N Long
Age: 16
1994
To: My loving, cute, sweet, sexy, thoughtful, sentimental, caring, courageous boyfriend.
(I was dreaming)"

That's exactly what it said...including the "I was dreaming" part. It was to Matt. I am concerned by this but also amused at the same time.

Concerned because I described my boyfriend as "sexy" when I was 16.

Amused because although I obviously thought he was sexy I've recently discovered (from my husband's own mouth) that he's never thought I was sexy. I was "always a tom-boy" he says.

I'm also amused because I have apparently always been a wee bit on the sarcastic side (e.g. "I was dreaming").

See what insight you can gain by picture flipping? It's mind boggling.

Do you do it?
B

7 comments:

M-a-licious said...

I must start picture-flipping. No, I should start writing comments on the back of all our pictures. Oooooooo. A new project.

I still can't believe that you ever thought Matt was sexy. Ewwwww. I also can't believe that he didn't think you were. I mean, did he see your senior pictures? So not "tom-boy."

You also see from your picture-flipping that you've been bloggng about pics forever. This was not a new thing.

B said...

What can I say...I'm a trend-setter. ;)

Lunsford said...

I would not flip my own pictures because I know there is nothing interesting there, I would not write anything other than maybe the age of our kids. But I do look at other peoples pictures. Here is a little story of what I have found flippig pictures. My real mother gave me a couple pictures of her wedding to my dad. I had never seen them before and did not even know that they excisted. I turned the picture over and in my grandmothers hand were the words "keep these". I wondered how many times she started to throw them out after the divorce and those two words kept them in her massive amount of junk so that after she died I could see them.

B said...

AWESOME!! See? That's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

Everyone should flip.
B

WSMIL said...

Sometimes you don't have to flip because it is on the front. We have a bunch of old photos that have a number and names on the front of them. When questioned about it I found out it was my grandfathers pictures that were mailed to him while he was in prison during WWII. That was his cell number and my great grandmother, and PawPaw's sisters would send him photos of the family with their names and his cell number. Needless to say these along with the other things he had from that time have become a real treasure to me. Ironically he kept them hidden his whole life and Matthew found them when we were cleaning out PawPaw's tools! Make of that what you will.

Anonymous said...

to be in your mind. scary. ( wink wink)
B.N.

B said...

It IS scary. And think how I feel! I have to live with me.
B

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .