link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Parrots | Priester Photography

Parrots


**Side note:  The vertical images appear blurry.  They aren't.  If you click them you'll see that they're actually in focus...I think it's the way I uploaded them.  Please Excuse.**


 Is it really possible to create something original?...
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
to have an original idea?...an original concept?
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
I've decided that it's getting harder and harder to do.

Especially for artists.

(I may or may not be an artist...it's still up for debate...so I'm using this term in a general sense.)
Why is it becoming harder?

Because in times past you could create something and think it was an original idea...and it may have been an original idea...to you...at the time.
You would have went on thinking it was your original idea not realizing that someone across the ocean, across the state, or even in your very own town had created the same thing....before you did.

But now?

Oh boy. 

You can create something you think is original and five minutes later see it in another country, another state, or even your own town via the lovely internet.

This happens to me a lot.

I'll create what I think is an amazing shot only to see it 100 times on the web by other people before me.

Did I subconsciously see those shots and then create them thinking they were my own ideas?

Perhaps.

But more than likely it was just a good idea that someone thought of before me.

My brain doesn't work very fast.

With all of that in mind, there is a difference in claiming something as original when you know full well that it was not your idea first.
That's just rude.

And most likely illegal.

My suggestion:

If you want to try someone else's original idea...go for it...but you better make sure that yours is better.
If you need to emulate someone, admit that you're doing it...
make it known that you're trying to achieve their "look", concept or level of workmanship.
Who knows?

They might be flattered by your attempt at imitation.
Or they might not.

But at least you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that you aren't a copy cat (someone who imitates)...
an epigon (an inferior imitator of a distinguished artist)...
or worse yet, a parrot (a copycat that doesn't understand what they're imitating).

No one likes a parrot.

Unless you're actually a parrot...in which case if you can copy an artists work than good for you and have a cracker!
B

If you'd like to find out more about this wonderful artist, Zoe Boekbinder, you can find her music and schedule here.

Up next:  Wedding sneak peeks

3 comments:

Michaelle said...

Brandi, I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for putting it out there! I'm a part time photographer in Desloge. Another photographer and I were talking about this the other day. We both try to be as original as we can be. It's getting harder to do, admittedly. But as artists, it is our job to think outside the box, to do our own thing, and to continue creating!!

WSMIL said...

For some reason this post made me think of Northern Exposure, oh wait I know why, the cow flinging episode. As you like to say I almost laughed until I wet myself;)

Bell Lee Button said...

I love the ones where she lying in the chair. They are soooo pretty! I saw that chair! Before you started using it in your shoots!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .