link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Wisdom from 1546 | Priester Photography

Wisdom from 1546

In that year, English writer John Heywood wrote, "Wolde you bothe eate your cake, and haue your cake?".
That is a logical idea presented in a brief sentence and I like it.

In many areas of life we face decisions.

Oftentimes these aren't easy decisions.  Does that mean we refuse to make them?

No.  Because we can't eat our cake and have it.

In other words, once you've eaten your cake you can't complain about it's being gone....because you ate it.

It was your decision.
Somehow, in the last 464 years (I hope that's a correct calculation because I used a calculator) since that was written we have mutilated the sentence into this one:

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Guess what my problem is with that wording.

It is possible for me to have my cake and eat my cake.

I have some cake. I eat it.

I had some cake. I ate it.

Are you following me here?

It's not rocket science (we'll touch on that next week).
My point is that the revised sentence is not helpful in telling someone that they must make a choice.
You could, however, word it like this:

"You can't eat your cake and have it."

It's not possible for me to eat my cake and also have my cake.

At that juncture I would have to make a decision (hopefully a wise, well thought out decision) on whether I want to eat my cake or continue to have it.

Not both.
Both shouldn't even be a possibility.
Though sometimes it is because someone allows it.

Let me just tell you...if cake is being allowed to be eaten and had, people will eat it and have it.
Let's put an end to all of this having and eating of cake.

It will not make cake givers happy.
It will not make the cake eaters/havers happy.

In summary...

If you're giving cake to someone (letting them have the best of two mutually exclusive courses)...Stop.

If your eating and having cake that someone is giving you (not making a decision about two mutually exclusive courses)...Stop.

John Heywood says so.

I'm suddenly very hungry.
B


You can see the rest of Layla's session here under "Layla".

P.S.--The last shot is our attempt at a rocker baby in case you were confused.

*Disclosure--I have no idea what this blog post means.  Hopefully you do.

4 comments:

Your Local Cake Store said...

Unfortunate, but true. Sometimes if someone eats their cake, there's always someone there to give them more. Trouble with that is that the cake giver doesn't have any cake left to eat. They neither have nor eat.
Love these photos by the way. Good job.

WSMIL said...

I totally get this post, and I'm not sure what that says about either one of us!

PS: love the moniker Your Local Cake Store and Ditto to their comment

Derek A said...

These are awesome Brandi! How do I buy some?

B said...

Your Local Cake Store--It's time to close up shop. Perhaps with a going out of business sale?

WSMIL--Ditto.

Derek A--Email me about ordering.

B

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .