link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Trust | Priester Photography

Trust

I had a thought several days ago while eating a chocolate brownie.

Would you like to hear it?

I thought you might.
This particular brownie was packaged on a styrofoam plate and wrapped in plastic wrap with a magic marker price scribbled on the top.
It was from a gas station. 
It was yummy.
While I was eating it, I wondered to myself, "Self...how do I know that the creator of this brownie had clean hands and/or good intentions while making it since it's not pre-packaged?"
It is important to note that I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a germaphobe.
In fact, I'm a firm believer in not only the "five second" rule but sometimes the "five minute" rule, depending on the condition of the floor.
I think it builds up the immune system...but that's just a theory.
Back to the brownie...after pondering for .125 seconds whether or not it was tainted with the unthinkable...
 I ate it.
I realized in the 3.7 seconds it took me to eat the brownie that I couldn't even be sure that a pre-packaged, factory made brownie wasn't tainted.
This then caused me to think about how trustworthy we all really are.
We trust our brownie makers to have clean hands and use fresh, rot-free food.
We trust the news to be accurate and unbiased, giving us the facts.
We trust our financial institutions to be fair and accurate, not making any mistakes (unless it's to our benefit...mistakes are always okay if it's to our benefit...kidding).
We trust babysitters and satellite installers,
teachers, lawyers, mailmen
police officers, preachers, and airline pilots.
We expect that they hold to our standards or above, but definitely not below.

We expect them to tell us the truth.
Sometimes you will never know if they don't.
Sometimes the only way you would know if they didn't is if you get sick,
get overcharged or mistreated...
or die. 
What a quandary!
*I would not let her make my brownie.*

We must be trusting to a degree (Did that cook put moldy cheese on my chicken corden bleu?).
But also wary (not weary...though I sometimes get weary of being wary) of what goes on around us...
questioning what people are telling us (sometimes)...
not believing everything we read or see (sometimes), but wondering (sometimes),
researching (a lot) and learning (always).

The funny thing about kids is that they are usually completely honest, but you can never really trust them.

They'll probably pee in your bath water.

I know.  This is deep stuff.  I hope I didn't lose you.
B

4 comments:

JVick said...

OMG- i can not even tell u how funny ur thought process is. It cracks me up- because mine is the same way. I think about the craziest thing and can go on and on for a couple minutes on one tiny thing- like the condition of ur brownie. I love reading ur blogs- cause u have a wonderfull way or writing what we all think- or at least most women (moms)think. And how our thought process can connect two totally unrelated things- like brownies and peeing in the river!!!!!! U crack me up.

B said...

I'm glad someone got it. :)

WSMIL said...

Did you know there is science to back up the 5 second rule? And thanks for thinking we are trusting but most of us aren't;) (PS: Ditto to Vick)

Bell Lee Button said...

Hey i am a babysitter and i am not to be trusted. Haha. Just kiddin! Looks like the little chickadee had a little problem with her bathing suit riding up. Hehe Hey! It's not like we've never had the same problem. I think we should all be a little less self-concious and just let the bathing suit ride up if it wants to!
Obviously that was a joke.....

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .