link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Three things I've learned from listening to public radio... | Priester Photography

Three things I've learned from listening to public radio...

1.  I've learned not only what "consigliere" means but how to pronounce it.
I'm not sure I'll ever use it in my speech (ever) except to tell people that I know what it means, but it's a pretty word.
A pretty word for something not necessarily very pretty.
consigliere:  \kōn-(ˌ)sil-ˈye-re  Counselor, advisor  (generally the number three person in a crime family, after the boss and underboss in most cases)
I'm sure the public radio program I was listening to was using it more in the sense of the advisor and less in the sense of a member of the mafia.
But I guess you never can tell.

Public radio is edgy like that.
2.  It seems that the new "cool" way to tell a story is in a monotone voice devoid of expression.
I can not be sure of this statement as I've only recently been an avid listener of storytelling on public radio.
That being said, I don't seem to remember any story I've ever been told in the past sounding like it was read from a book by a robot.
People usually get excited when they tell stories, or sad, or serious or giggly.

Not on public radio.
I haven't decided if I'm disturbed by this trend or not.

Maybe the monotone voice lets us create in our own mind what the emotion should be.
But isn't that part of the fun in telling a story...creating the mood?

Dictating the feel to anticipate the reaction?

I don't know. What do you think?

Do you listen to public radio stories?  Or public radio at all?
Probably not because the number three thing I've learned from listening to public radio is...

3.  No one I know listens to public radio.

But you should.

Particularly if you like amazing stories.

More particularly if you like amazing stories told in monotone.

By possible robots.
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "Simmons Siblings".

2 comments:

iBuchon said...

Ugh. You know me.

B said...

Sorry.

Edit to read: Only one person I know listens to public radio.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .