link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Book Covers--An observation | Priester Photography

Book Covers--An observation


My taste in literature is very much like my taste in most everything else.

I'm all over the place.
I can't seem to limit myself to one genre of reading.

I'm not even sure I could tell you what I particularly like to read.

Books.  I like to read books.

That's it.
I know.

I'm deep.

As an unguided book reader floating around in a sea of possibilities I rely on the description of the book to choose something that fits my mood at the moment.

Enter...the book cover.
When a book catches my attention and I pull it off the shelf to examine its read-worthiness, my first action is to flip to the back in order to read the summary.

I just want a brief idea of what the book is about.

As a woman with little leisure time, I want to choose wisely.
 With that being said, what is one supposed to do with books that don't have a summary?

When confronted with such a book I must look like a deranged mental patient escaped from the ward.

I'm at Goodwill.  I pick up a book that looks interesting.
I flip to the back to read the summary.

Nothing.

I take a deep breath and open it in hopes of finding printed words on the inside dust cover.

Nothing.

My palms get sweaty.
I start flipping the book back and forth, front to back, looking at the inside front cover and the inside back cover.  All I see is blankness and a picture of the author.  This is useless information!  What is the book about?!

My eyes dart around the store in a panic looking for help.

I hold the book high above my head and yell, "Has anyone read this?"

"Is it worth seventy cents and four hours of my time?"

"Anybody?!"

My body is stiff, in rapt attention, awaiting a reply from the patrons.

They turn to me in alarm.  They look disturbed rather than concerned about my predicament.

Then I black out.
B

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again...you amaze me. You do such great work. But I guess it does help when you have such good looking subjects! About your tragic goodwill experence, I'm sorry. I hate when that happens! ;)

Amy Walker

Stephanie Lynn said...

My pet peeve is books that have quotes from people about the book on the back, especially if the quotes aren't even about the book they are printed on! Grrr! I don't care if so and so liked the book, I just want to know what the stupid thing is about.

B said...

Thanks girls! And Stephanie, I know exactly what you're talking about. How do I know I'll like the same book as writers I've never even heard of?

Anonymous said...

I love number 6! That is the best picture I have ever seen! I love it!
Mercede

WSMIL said...

The pictures are great, and definitely ditto to that whole writers who enjoyed this book, or enjoy this author. Most of them don't sound sincere anyway!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .