link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Free To Be A Family | Priester Photography

Free To Be A Family




Have you read this book?

If not you should.

Yes, it was written in the early 70's but it's timeless.

My sister and I never had the book (as far as I can remember) but we had the tape.

We nearly wore it out listening to it.
 It's chock full of life lessons but is so funny and entertaining that you don't even realize that there's a "moral to the story".

At least I didn't.

But I'm a little slow.

My favorite part of the tape is the story "The Day Dad Made Toast" which is read by Robin Williams (I'm pretty sure he's the voice of all five characters in the story which is also quite humorous).

It chronicles the admiration the kids give to their father because he woke up and made them his special cinnamon toast while their mother is in the background running a real estate business, fixing a shingle on the roof, and starts up the buzz saw to add an addition to the deck she built last summer.
 There's  a story about Superman coming to grips with being adopted which includes his parents dealing with a "super-powered tantrum" when they break the news to him.
The Fat Boys sing a song with Jimmy Glenn called "Yourself Belongs to You" that deals with bullying and abuse.

Ah-phoo-phoo-phoo.

(That was my rapper noise.)
 
 Kermit the Frog discusses littering in a song about his pond.

Edith Ann tells us how when she feels like nobody cares she goes down to Sears and tells them she's lost so they call her name out over the loud speaker over and over. 
 There's the "Stupid Song" which has the brother, mother, and parents all singing about how everything's so "stupid, stupid, stupid" and they "hate it, hate it, hate it" but if they "say it, say it, say it" to themselves then they won't have to yell at their mom/dad/kids.

It's about venting.

I like to vent.

Hence this very blog.
 One last story that came to mind is one called "A Tale of Three Ralphs" that tells about how a mother and father decide to treat their children exactly alike with absolutely no exceptions which means the seven year old and ten year old must wear diapers because the newborn wears diapers and the newborn must set the table and clean his room because the older kids had too.

This results in the newborn bursting into tears and doing nothing.
There are many, many more stories...I just can't remember them all.

Just get the book and read it to your kids.

Or to yourself.

And if you find the tape/CD/digital download for it somewhere please let me know because I'm going to wear mine out before my kids get a chance to listen to it.
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "Lilly".

Up next:  Mrs. K

3 comments:

SeƱor Taco said...

Photo #1 = A Porcelain Doll

Grandma L said...

I love the one where she is peeking out of the edge of the box. Coolness.

Susan said...

Super cute photo's ~ she is way past adorable!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .