link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Soda. | Priester Photography

Soda.

Pop.

Cola.

Sodie-pop.

Whatever name you call it by, it's a carbonated beverage...

And I'm addicted.
How do I know I'm addicted?

Because I've tried to quit and I keep failing.

This is a recent development as I never drank soda when I was younger.
When I did it was only on the weekends or when I went out to eat.

It somehow developed into a daily habit.
And I do mean habit, because if I walk into a convenience store I subconsciously head to the fountain drinks to fill a styrofoam cup with the sweet nectar that is Dr. Pepper.

Yes.  Styrofoam...for many reasons.
I had somewhat of an epiphany last week when I realized how many times I've tried (and failed) to stop drinking it...

Tell me if this sounds like someone that should be in rehab:

I crave it.

I think I need it to cope with certain days.

I tell myself that I deserve it because I work hard.

It think it makes me feel better.

I feel bad when I cheat and drink another.

Hello.  My name is Brandi...
and I'm addicted to carbonated beverages.

I feel like I should be slapping my wrist while shouting, "I need another hit!".
After reviewing these issues in my head, I decided that drastic action (mentally) must be taken.

I'm not a believer of putting things in my body that don't belong there...seldom taking even ibuprofen...yet I was habituallly filling myself with evil soda syrup knowing only that "they" say it's not good for me.

I did some research...and I realize that you can't believe everything you hear, but the article found here gives a detailed description of what occurs when you drink a soda.

It's very interesting and I'm betting that it can be or has been verified via scientific research.

•In the first 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor, allowing you to keep it down.


•20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (And there’s plenty of that at this particular moment.)


•40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate; your blood pressure rises; as a response, your liver dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked, preventing drowsiness.


•45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production, stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.


•> 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium, and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.


•> 60 minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium, and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolytes, and water.


•> 60 minutes: As the rave inside you dies down, you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like hydrating your system, or building strong bones and teeth.

Now that I have all of that information snuggled up in my brain it's going to be much easier to quit.

I've stayed clean for 6 days now and I'm feeling pretty good about it.

If you see me somewhere with a styrofoam cup in my hand and I can't prove to you that it's tea or water then please grab it from me and run away.

I'll thank you later.
B

Note*--I am in no way comparing caffeine addiction to a drug addiction, but rather, explaining my personal feelings on the matter that's relative to my situation.

You can see the rest of this happy family of siblings here under "Parker Family".

5 comments:

WSMIL said...

Sugar addiction is in a way just like drug addiction or alcohol addiction. Take sugar away from an addict and their bodies will respond in almost the same way as taking away drugs/alcohol. Not always is it as severe a reaction, but depends on the level of sugar addiction. And further research has shown that diet sodas aren't any better than regular for many other different reasons. Personally I would like to thank you for opening (again) peoples minds to new experiences. And this one needs to be shouted from the rooftops. On one final note, you can still have a carbonated beverage and not damage your body, it's called Seltzer and its just water that has had carbonation added to it (when you can't help it and need a hit of bubbles;).

M-a-licious said...

Try the rubber band on the wrist and pop it. And I mean on your wrist, not someone else's.

Anonymous said...

don't look at the label on the ketchup package or you just might blow a sugar gasket.....

WSMIL said...

I've been more diligent lately reading my labels and the amount of sugar/high fructose corn syrup/and other disguised forms of sugar it's amazing we aren't all 400lbs or dead from diabetes!

PS: I like the rubber band idea but why can't we use someone else's wrist;)

Bell Lee Button said...

You know its funny as i am sitting here reading this disgusting idk what its called (instructions to what soda does to you) I drink thy soda. Then i want to spit it out because i feel like im a druggie (45 min. step). Thanks B, you have really boosted my self confidence. Haha. JK. But it is pretty funny. Now i know why im always grumpy.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .