link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Musicality... | Priester Photography

Musicality...

They were the second act I had the pleasure of watching perform on Tuesday night at Bauhaus Kaffee.
 
Like all the other shows I've had the pleasure of viewing in the last several months, they too were brought to our area by Tim and Kerry of Unique Ink...
and for that, I thank them.
How to describe their performance?
For starters, she played a saw. 

This is highly entertaining in itself (especially if one has never seen a saw (saw a saw?) being played before)...but I barely have words to explain the intensity of the rest of the show.
These pictures are not capable of impressing upon you the energy, soul and oomph that these artists dished out that night.
The friend that was with me explained it best...
"They started out up here (holding her hand above her head)...
"they stayed up here (still holding her hand above her head) until they went to here (holding her hand even higher above her head)"...
"and then they finished up here (holding her hand back above her head)".
This explanation summed it up quite nicely.

In my words..."I was exhausted after their performance".

In a wonderfully exhausted way.
On a musically related note:
I've always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument.
I want to experience what I see various musicians experiencing...
the satisfaction of manipulating an instrument in order to create something you (or others) enjoy...

putting heart and feeling into something that moves you on an emotional level...
and that might possibly evoke emotion in others.
I'll probably never learn to play...not because I don't think I could learn, but because I won't make the time for it.
That thought saddens me...however...several evenings ago, while editing a session, I had an epiphany of sorts...
I usually always have music playing while I'm working. This particular night I was really getting into my editing (slumped over the keyboard, hammering away on my keyboard and mouse, and bouncing my foot to the beat of the music I was listening to).

I was a creating machine.
It then dawned on me...
I use an instrument!
I put my heart into what I'm working on via my instrument.
While I'm editing, my fingers fly across the keyboard, clickity-clack to the music (either on the radio or in my head).

Something comes out of my instrument in the form of an edited image.
This created image generally evokes some kind of emotion in me.

It evokes some kind of emotion in others (if no one else but my client).
It turns out that I am experiencing the satisfaction of manipulating an instrument (or several instruments) to create something I (and others) enjoy!
I don't need to learn to play the guitar...the piano...the drums.
I play the camera.*
B

*If you'd like to hear someone play an instrument that actually makes music, then I highly suggest you catch a performance of the "Fishtank Ensemble".  You will NOT regret it.  I promise.

4 comments:

JVick said...

As I was reading ur post on wanting to learn an instrument to evoke emotion in others- I was yelling at my computer- "You Do- In ur pictures". I'm so glad that you came to the same conclusion before I got down to the bottom to write my post because that way i didn't have to yell at you. No need for u to learn any other instrument. You already do a marvelous job with what you've masterd- Photography.

SeƱor Taco said...

Indecisive-- sweater on, sweater off?

WSMIL said...

First Vick beat me to the post, almost exactly the words I was going to use. So ditto to her and you "you play the camera"!

Second to Taco maybe her energetic saw playing forced her to remove the sweater?

Anonymous said...

B! You are most definitely a talented artist with your camera! K~

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .