link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> One Room Schoolhouse | Priester Photography

One Room Schoolhouse

We have officially completed our second week of home schooling here in what I like to call the "One Room Schoolhouse".
It has been going surprisingly well.

However, I will admit that there have been a few tears shed...
a few temper tantrums...
and a few ranting tirades about how there is no way that a person will be using this type of math in order to function in everyday life (while a math book is being hurled across the room in complete disgust).
But the kids just wait quietly until I calm down and regain my composure and then we dust off the math book and continue on with class.
Just kidding!
We're actually quite like the Cleaver's.
The kids sit at attention in their seats while I point to a map of the world with my pointing stick and babble educational words in a sing song voice.

"And this, children, is The Cornhusker State!  Does anyone know what a Cornhusker is?!"
They answer my questions with "Yes ma'am!" and "No ma'am!" in a likewise sing-songy voice.

And they make straight A's.

And never talk back.
Just kidding.
We're actually somewhere in between (though I do occasionally wear my June Cleaver dress and make cupcakes).
There are days that they read aloud and I can actually pay attention to what they're reading and correct them when they mispronounce something. 

I do believe I may actually be learning something as well.

But we also have days when they finish their reading and I look at them all confusedly and say, "You.  In the pink shirt.  Did you already read?"
Sometimes I think I'm on the right track...like when one child piped up from the back seat of the car, "I know what "lethargic" means. I learned it in vocabulary."
Yeah me!  I'm a good teacher!

Twenty minutes later another child says something like, "What continent do we live in?"
Oh.  Shudder.

Mental note:  Must work on geography.
Though sometimes I'm certain they say things like that just to see my reaction.

At least I'm hoping that's the case.

Here's hoping we make it through week three!
B

PS--This is Fee, my niece.  The last picture is one I took when she was a baby.  I don't normally have four year olds sit in bowls, in case you were wondering.

You can see the rest of her pictures here under "Fee Turns Four".

2 comments:

WSMIL said...

I like your June Cleaver dress, especially when you add the pearls!

Mariah said...

Beautiful pictures of Fee! I can't believe how old she is getting. And wow I guess I never realized how AMAZING her eyes are! Congrats on the first couple weeks of school going good.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .