link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Machine Dichotomized Poultry | Priester Photography

Machine Dichotomized Poultry


This post topic is perfect for the subject.

You see, this is my new niece, Remedy.

And my old niece, Phoenix (who according to the image below is very much like her father).
Both of whom belong to my sister.

Hence the "niece" part.
My sister and my mother are both organic, healthy eaters (minus the Nutella).

I am not so much.
My mom was a recycler/repurposer before it was the "cool" thing to do (but that's another post in itself) and my sister feeds her dogs a raw meat diet and watches movies like "Super Size Me" and drinks a lot of water.
I drink tea and soda.

And I eat Velveeta cheese and bread that's not whole grain.
So they'll appreciate this post.

They'll actually appreciate this post because it contains pictures of the babies, but also because I'm talking about distubingly disgusting food and how I refuse to eat it anymore.

Let the story commence!
 I normally buy ground turkey because a.) it's cheaper than ground beef, b.) it's supposedly healthier and c.) I like the texture better.
In one of my frenzied trips to the store I purchased a package of seasoned turkey on a whim that had seasoning already in it.
 
I figured it would save me a step in my cooking (because opening a bottle of seasoning and sprinkling it on my ground turkey takes WAY too much time and effort) and it was cheaper than the plain old ground turkey I usually purchased.
Fast forward several weeks.

We're down to the bare minimum in the fridge and I'm trying to make meals from things like frozen broccoli, Italian sausage and half a carton of rocky road ice cream.

Mercede was helping and pulled out the forgotten about seasoned "turkey" and excaimed, "You could make enchiladas!"
Miracle upon miracle, I had everything I needed to do so.

So I did.
I sliced off the top of the seasoned "turkey" tube (how wrong is that string of words?) and squeezed it out into the skillet.


As I was doing this I began to read the front of the packaging.

 It bragged in large letters under the words "Seasoned Ground Turkey" that it was "mechanically separated turkey".
 I wrinkled up my nose and started poking at it with my wooden spoon as if it were a big, brown blob that just fell from outer space.

Mechanically separated?

Is that supposed to sound appealing?


Why would you tout that in bold letters on the front of your packaging?

 Why didn't they just put "The rest of the turkey that wasn't really fit for human consumption blended up with some flavoring and chemicals to make it taste like turkey" on the package instead?

 I guess that wouldn't fit on the label.

It's the only explanation.
 Unless they're required by law to warn people that they are about to eat turkey parts that have been blended and stuffed in a tube.

Which is disturbing in itself.

I'm now left with many questions...
 Why would mechanically processed turkey manufacturers plaster this fact on the front of their product unless they were required by law?

Why would the "law" allow them to sell us fake, blended up turkey parts if they think it's bad enough that they have to warn us beforehand on the label?
 Why am I feeding my family blended up turkey in a tube, "mechanically processed" or otherwise?

Who thought up blended up turkey in a tube and decided to sell it to the masses?
And how is it possible that there is (was) a half carton of rocky road ice cream in my fridge?
B

You can see the rest of Remedy's session here under "Remedy...is the experience".

3 comments:

WSMIL said...

Great story! We have been readying packaging a long time, and it is disgusting what they put in some stuff. No wonder we all gain weight, and don't know why (oh wait where is the Rocky Road?):) hehehe

Love the pictures to:)

Anonymous said...

I have the cutest cousins ever! I love all the pictures! My favorites are numbers 1, 5, and 17! They are so cute! Good job mom!
Mercede

Anonymous said...

i have been strongly told to stop reading and or sharing what i am reading on the labels. Alas, i am compelled and have been forced to eat what i normally would not and now i am voluntarily eating horrible things...is there a connection? Lovely lovely shots of the fam "old" and "new" nieces hah

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .