link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Everyone should be a photographer! | Priester Photography

Everyone should be a photographer!

It seems I need to clarify my philosophical (not) ramblings from my last post.
 I was in no way, shape or form implying that people shouldn't take pictures.

You should take pictures.

Many, many pictures.

It's therapeutic.

It also provides help to those of you that have a bad memory.

And it's fun.

And challenging.

But also rewarding.
 You don't have to go to a professional photographer to have pictures of your kids/friends/family that you will love forever and ever and want to hang on your wall or keep in your wallet.

My pocketbook would like you to think so (momma needs a new pair of boots!), but it's simply not the case.

Some of my absolute favorite shots of my kids weren't taken at JC Penney Portrait Studio or any studio for that matter, but by little ol' me with my little 35mm point and shoot camera that my brother bought me for my graduation gift. 
 Many times a "bad photograph" can be viewed as a good photograph simply because of what the subject means to the viewer.
 The question I posed in the last post (which was really a question, not a statement in the form of a question) was, "Can everyone be a photographer?".

One commentor, Mr./Mrs. Anonymous, expressed that maybe I have let my love of photography turn into work and now I'm being competitive. 
 While I will say that it is definitely work (I have sore muscles and tennis elbow to prove it), I still love it.

So much so that when I'm not shooting for my clients I'm setting up sessions to shoot what I want to shoot (my kids, trash the dress, Bauhaus Kaffee music, scenery and whatnot).

I might be addicted.
 As far as the "competitive spirit" goes, I'm not convinced that I have that.

I've worked alongside too many other photographers and diligently read to many fellow photographer blogs to feel competitive.
 What I was expressing was not concern over losing business to new photographers popping up on every street corner, in fact I think I may be one of those little upstart photographers...
 I was expressing (or inneffectively trying to express) how disheartening it is to think that someone can say, "I want to be a photographer", go buy a camera and photoshop, and then declare, "I am a photographer".
 It just takes a little something away from my feeling that I might be a little bit special in what I'm able to do.
I've answered many a question for many an aspiring photographer and I'm sure to do so many more times in the future.

I wish I had someone willing to give me answers to those same questions when I was starting out but I didn't, so I'm glad to help when I can without it affecting my business.

So while I may not have a "competitive spirit", I do happen to have a "show-some-initiative-and-get-off-your-butt-to-find-the-answers-for-yourself-like-I-did spirit" and perhaps a little bit of a "I'm-protecting-the quality-of-my-art spirit".

Can you really blame me for that?

I didn't think so.

So, go forth!  Take pictures!  Have fun with it and when we're all photographers we'll enjoy the mediocrity together!
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "McDaniel Family".

Up next:  Laut Babies

3 comments:

WSMIL said...

I agree with your sentiments but I can't go into it because I'm to gobsmacked (a new Britishism for you) at this families gorgeousness. WOW!

Anonymous said...

ENJOYED THE PHOTOS....BUT I AM SO PARTIAL TO THIS FAMILY....LOVE MY KIDS AND GRANDDAUGHTER :0)

Anonymous said...

You're right! A camera and photoshop don't make you a photographer. You have to have an eye for it! That can't be learnt, it is just something you have. And you got it!!!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .