link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> We interrupt regularly scheduled programming for a special news bulletin.... | Priester Photography

We interrupt regularly scheduled programming for a special news bulletin....

My husband is a hero!

Don't believe me?

Read this:
I remember this day quite well though Matt only has a vague recollection (he's had a brain injury from a car accident since then...seriously).  I confirmed with a friend that the incident must have taken place in late 1996 or early 1997 because she wasn't married until March of 1997 and she wasn't there with her husband.  Also, I didn't have any children on this trip and Mercede was born in 1998.  So this actually took place about 14 years ago.

 Here's my recollection, maybe the others can give their input in the comments section if they have any further information:

A little story within a story...
We had a rather large group of friends that went camping that weekend.  At the same campground but further back in the lot, some older friends of ours were also camping.  Ours was a group of teens and twenty somethings and theirs was a group of thirty somethings.  The other group decided to come over to our site to spy on us at about 10 pm but they were shocked to find that we were all in bed already.  So they sabotaged us, putting chairs in front of our tent flaps and tying our zippers so we couldn't get out. 

Two words for them...very mature. 

I just remember that one friend had to go to the bathroom badly and couldn't get her tent open because it was tied shut.  That is NOT a good feeling.

I'm just glad we could make them feel younger, if only for that night.

On to the heroism (if you want to call it that)...

Late into the same morning as the sabotaging incident we were all sitting around the campfire talking about whatever it is that youngsters talk about when we heard yelling from the river.  We assumed it was drunken canoeists making their way down the river so we yelled something or other back.  Probably something along the lines of, "Hey!  Pipe down over there!  We're trying to enjoy the nature!".

They didn't pipe down.  We heard more yelling whereupon someone from our group said, "Wait a second.  Did they say, "Help?"".

We decided that they did, indeed say, "Help", so our entire group meandered, with more of a sense of curiosity than of urgency over toward the river to check it out.

Of course we found Mr. and Mrs. Allen draped across logs with their belongings bobbing down the river and the boys jumped in to help.  We can't remember who did what, but I do remember that I didn't want Matt to get in and he did anyway.  That may sound selfish of me, but I was newly married and I didn't see how my little husband with his 29" waist (seriously) was going to help anyone out of a quickly moving current.

I guess he proved me wrong and now he's a "hero".
(giggle...sorry that just sounds funny)

So thank you Mr. and Mrs. Allen for the memory and the gratitude.  I know everyone involved will enjoy hearing the story again and appreciate the acknowledgement of a good deed.

If you're reading this and know the Allen's please send them this way so they can find out where their "heros" ended up fourteen years later.
B

32 comments:

WSMIL said...

As part of that "Older group" (and yes I object I wasn't in my 30's) I have a recollection. I know that is going to come as a shock because I don't have many. But the very mature comment must not be ignored. YOUR group was going to get our group the first night, but you couldn't stay awake late enough. And so in retaliation the boys (I use this term loosely) pulled their prank. It may not have been mature but they still giggle about it to this day:) I still have the Honeymoon Suite they put outside our tent. And it was very nice of the Allen's to do what they did. I hope someone knows them and can put them in touch with your blog.

Anonymous said...

This is the world wide web people..someone call the paper or look them up on the net..I wasn't there but heard about the tent stories. wsmil was a newlywed and the fear of that group of people and the seriousness of the tricksters. Struck me as a mom with horror. But very glad beyond the laughter there was helpfullness.

Bumble-Bree said...

Was my dad any part of that?

WSMIL said...

Seriously how could you ask that, of course he was. Not helping of course:) Our group was at the other end of the camp ground and didn't hear about it until after.

Bell Lee Button said...

That is soooo sweet! You do need to get a hold of them!

Mr. Scary said...

'Tis nice to hear something about... King B? Nay, my fellow B's, not just King B, our HEROE the mighty King B! Only such a man, man of great fortitutde and majesty, could subdue and, dare I say, woo the fair one that we call Queeny. Ahh, to one day be blessed to share a pint with this larger than life man. What a day that would be.

Bumble-Bree said...

Okay, as to the algebra post. I can easily call you a freak as well as weird. Weird, abnormal freak. How's that?

Bumble-Bree said...

Odd
bizarre
eccentric
eerie
ghastly
kooky
peculiar
MENTAL*
strange
uncanny
atypical
alien*
different
far-out
idiosyncratic*
abberant
psycho*
insane
crazed
unbalanced

*my favorites

WSMIL said...

Come on Scary is OK!
wants pint must be man.
interesting man loves words.
and has sense of humor.
keep them coming Mr. Scary:)

Bell Lee Button said...

Ok so i did a search for one of the Allens. And I think i found them. Not sure if i want to give that info on the internet though. So....ya. Look up yellowpages.com and type Bud Allen. There is one in the town you live in....haha *hint hint

WSMIL said...

Way to go Sherlock, Impressed:)

Mr. Scary said...

I've come to the conclusion that worms are vile, ill-tempered creatures.

Bumble-Bree said...

Well, are you seeing why I don't like you? Smarty pants.

Mr. Scary said...

You must be jealous of my good looks and quick wit.

camera man said...

B you have your weekends mixed up. That was not the weekend the two groups were there together. The year is right the weekend is wrong.

Mrs. Scary said...

I know the Allen's from where I used to work. Nice folks! What a scary experience for them. Glad it all turned out well. Nice to know we have heros among us.

Fair warning for all you Scary haters. The more you pick, the more he will HAVE to pick back. It is in his blood.

WSMIL said...

Well that just killed my idea of I knew who Mr. Scary is. But it proves once again how he belongs here, and thanks for joining in:)

WSMIL said...

Where has the Taco gone:(

Come out wherever you are:)

Señor Taco said...

Señor Taco is back, sorry.
I did call Mr. Allen
Very grateful for phone call
Very grateful for the save
Humble older man, enjoyed call
He wants "heros" to visit.

Señor Taco said...

A tapeworm is very vile.
I agree with Mr. Scary.

Bumble-Bree said...

I feel like going under a rock. I just picked on Scary, not the rest of you.(tear) I feel sad and alone.

Someone said...

Alright, I have stood by and watched for quite sometime. And I finally had someone to show me how to do this commenting bussiness, and I am going to have to say that I am not sure how I feel about this Mr. Scary person. I do not like his picture either. So, with my first comment I'd like to know is there some kind of initiation that I have to undergo or something? Just wondering. Let me know. Because I would love to be a memeber finally! So, I guess I will ahve to find out who this Scary person is. And find out what I really think about them. Signing off, now.

WSMIL said...

Someone, no initiation required. sometimes we are understandable other times not. Just jump right in and express yourself. Sometimes we agree and other times we don't. New and interesting words are always welcome:) Interesting choice of picture, see you are fitting in already.

Wormy, come out of your rock, we love you.

Taco, great to have you back, and the heros did visit today, nice visit.

B said...

Someone...

Bravo for embracing new technology and commenting. As one gets older one tends to shun things they don't understand. We welcome you.

No initiation...consider yourself a "member" or "follower"...whichever you prefer.

As to Mr. Scary's identity...I'll leave that up to him to reveal in his own due time.

Chip, chip, cheerio!
B

Yucca Legs said...

I don't like all this bickering. I think that Bookworm needs to be able to take what she can dish.

Bumble-Bree said...

Okay, thanks WSMIL, that's why I love you. And Yucca Legs, I can take it, I am just choosing not to. Also, I am not sure I like all these new people, I hate trying to figure out who they are! And Someone......cool picture?

Someone said...

Thank you all for your hospitality. I am glad I am fitting in. Are you sure I am though? Am i really fitting in for life? Because you all are a tad crazy! Haha, I am just kidding. Anyway, I am sorry you feel that way, Bookworm, but I think I am here to stay. But, yeah, I like the picture, too. It's very mysterious.

B said...

I think someone has multiple personalities.
B

Señor Taco said...

You can't fool the B!

WSMIL said...

Is this true confession Taco?

Ashes of Abdication said...

This was really cool and sweet!!! I cant beleive kelly was there too...and helped save two lives!! wow haha!!!

Señor Taco said...

No WSMIL, I'm only me.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .