link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> -9x+1= -80 | Priester Photography

-9x+1= -80

That is an algebra problem.

I don't like math or anything associated with it.

I would much rather give you the etymology and definition of the word "algebra" than actually do algebra.
This is my Sophomore year algebra teacher, Mr. Coffman.
Though this might be starting off a little sketchy, there is a reason that I'm blogging about him....and algebra.

I have never excelled at math...who am I kidding?  I'm awful.  In fact, I still use my fingers to this day when doing math problems.  Don't judge me...I have a method and it works.

During middle school and then into my freshman year in high school I nearly flunked out of every math class I was in, though I was usually above average in all my other classes.

  I  always enrolled in the lowest class the school had to offer, as were the "trouble makers", so class was often disrupted which further delayed my learning process.  I struggled to get by with the basic mathematical education that the public school system thought I needed to succeed in the world.

Then I was assigned an algebra class with Mr. Coffman.

I don't know what he did differently or how he approached the subject, but while he was teaching, I was learning.  I actually understood and (gasp!) liked algebra! 

I'm not saying it was easy all the time, but it made some semblance of sense to me and I enjoyed it. 

Maybe it was the mystery...the satisfaction of uncovering the clues to determine what number had gone undercover as "y" or "x". 

Maybe it was because I could use my imagination in trying to figure out why we didn't know what "x" stood for.  Was it some Indiana Jones like puzzle with it's missing pieces?

Whatever the reason, I enjoyed the way Mr. Coffman taught and thank him for helping me pass algebra.

However, the algebra teaching skills are not what stand out the most in my memory of this teacher.  The thing I remember most (because this is how my roller coaster ride brain works) is a comment he made to our class one day after he had been on a long trip by car.

He said that he really enjoyed driving on long trips because it gave him time alone to think about things that he didn't have time to think about during the busy day.  He said he could zone out and really give his brain a workout and it was refreshing.

Here's the tie in:

I drove to Springfield this weekend for a wedding which is a about a four hour drive one way.  Which means I had eight hours in the car.

Eight hours to think.

When I started the drive and my mind started to take off to the little places it tends to go, one of the first things that came to mind was Mr. Coffman and his advice on using our driving time for good.

I took his advice and I feel refreshed.  Much like you feel after a strenous physical workout...tired but rejuvinated (minus the sweat).

I could tell you some of the things I thought about on the drive, but it would be neither beneficial for me to spend fifteen days writing it nor beneficial to my goal of proving to you that I, in fact, don't have a mental problem.

I have no idea if Mr. Coffman is still teaching or sadly, if he's still among the living, but if he is, maybe he'll stumble upon this little memory of mine and feel like he accomplished something during his teaching career. 

 Even if that accomplishment didn't solely  involve algebra.

x=9
B

Up next:  Wedding Sneak Peeks

14 comments:

Bumble-Bree said...

Okay, what I got out of this: You like to blog about your mind, and you pose funny. lol. I like the pictures.

Bell Lee Button said...

Wow that is sooooo sweat B! I wish my algebra teacher was like that!!!!!! She was the absolute worst teacher in the history of teachers! Terrible. Now i am in algebra 2, better teacher but i have a terrible time. I also have trouble with it but.....i have to take the higher classes. So i have the highest math class the sophmore grade has to offer. Yuck! It is sooooo confusing! Anyways thanks for the cute little blog. I liked it a lot!

WSMIL said...

I don't think you have to worry if he is still among the living because he only looks about a year older than his students. Which may account for you getting something out of his class, ie his looks or his age. G really enjoyed and I do mean REALLY enjoyed geometry. I think you suffered from the same condition:) Poor me I didn't have any attractive teachers:( Thus my profound lack in education:)

Mother of Merna and B-dog said...

WSMIL, you took the words right out of my mouth! I honestly, could not for sure, identify the teacher!!!! He is so young looking.

Look at our sweet Queen B. before she was a Queen.

Mr. Scary said...

Two ideas need to be stimulated in this blog. The first is your undeniable crush on your high school teacher (even Mrs. Scary thinks he's cute, although I can't see past the dumbo ears). Be that as it may, this is quite common among "trouble makers" and most will forgive your indulgent fantasies of 10th grade math class and "Mr. Dumbo Ears."
What really needs attention though is your self depricating attitude of yourself, our Queen. How dare you refer to thy self as "sketchy"!! That's like saying Lassie is a "pretty good" dog or Angelina Jolie is "mildly" attractive. How dare you sink to our level of humanity. If your gonna B the Queen then BE THE QUEEN!!! with all the perks and eccentricities (yes, that's how you spell it) that come with it.

Bumble-Bree said...

You are weird.......

M-a-licious said...

I also think Mr. Coffman looks young but you would have to be pretty desperate to find him attractive. Poor man.

And, yes. Mr. Scary is abnormal. But this we all already knew.

WSMIL said...

Mal did you not see the kids around him, sorry B, but I'm sure they found him attractive:)

It's Scary being abnormal that makes him/her fit right in;) Because face it I'm not sure normal exists anymore.

Mr. Scary said...

How did "weird" turn to "abnormal"? Weird, typically, is described as a shade or two lighter than abnormal. Why the jump? You can start with abnormal and jump to weird (perfectly acceptable). The other way around, however, denotes a disparaging sarcasm that goes beyond proper etiquette.

B said...

What he said.
B

Señor Taco said...

Scratch my chin, wondering why?

WSMIL said...

I spend way to much time on Merriam Webster Web page anymore. Look up both words and I will take being described as abnormal over weird any day!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Coffman is a principle at West County, Leadwood Missouri. He is the middle school principle and looks the same as always! Thought you might want to know!

WSMIL said...

Wow! I couldn't figure out where this comment fit in. How easily we forget past posts. Thanks for clearing up this mystery.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .