link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Explorations in Music | Priester Photography

Explorations in Music

Pokey Lafarge and The South City Three--La La Blues
 

Yessir (or ma'am).


You guessed correctly...

And they were once again brought to us by Tim and Kerry of Unique Ink.
The night's performances also included The Blair St. Mugwumps which I will include in a separate post.
I didn't want to overwhelm you with too much excitement in one blog post...not to mention the fact that I already had 34 pictures in this post alone.
Thirty four pictures?

I'm out of control.

Okay...enough with the introductions and explanations.

If you weren't there for the show here's what you missed...
A hand clappin',
foot tappin',
finger snappin' good time.
Can you tell by this picture that they're really into their music?
I wish I looked this cool while I pursued my art of photography.
Instead, I probably resemble something like a hunchback with a pot belly and one bad eye.
But that's okay because I can watch these guys perform and get lost in, not just the music...
but the way they perform with such straightforward feeling....
with unpretentiousness (yes, that's a word).
Is it possible for a band to be sophisticated and unassuming?
I think it is...
and I think they are.
You can read more eloquently stated reviews here if you want details on what kind of music they bring to the stage.
You'll see words like "ragtime connoisseur", "dapper bantamweight", "timeless sound" and "old time American music".
However, in my own unpolished words,  I would describe it like this:
When I listen to Pokey and his band play I start seeing in black and white.
I feel too clean...
too starched and ironed...
I want to sell my belongings...
wrinkle up my clothes...
put on a hat and suspenders...
put a change of clothes in an old hankie...
tie it to a stick...
and jump on a train going nowhere.
Is this the reaction that they expected their music to have on its listeners?
Probably not.
Yet there it is.
And I for one am happy about it,
because music shouldn't just be a noise in the background that you hear.

It should make you think or feel.

Maybe not necessarily about becoming a hobo.

But let's not get technical.
B

5 comments:

Corey said...

This is a great little piece ya have here, all though the photos are so good that they make me even more sad about missing the show. Damn you Kansas City!!!
Seriously, these are phenomenal.

WSMIL said...

Can I ditto Corey except make it Branson? You do really make me wish we had been there. Not just the pictures (which are fab) but your words draw such a picture as well. And if you find a train to no where let me know I'd like to catch that;)

SeƱor Taco said...

Wondering, poor bass player, depressed?
Yep, still here, still alive!

M-a-licious said...

Looked like it was a great show. Did you do your interview?

Anonymous said...

To Senor Taco,
Nope the bass player is not sad or depressed, just getting into the sound....bass players are quiet and shy....

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .