link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Epical | Priester Photography

Epical

My ears have been bombarded recently with a new word.

The word is "epic".

 You may hear it in sentences like the following:

"I was at an epic party last night!"

"You lost your job?  Epic fail!"

"You found $100?  Epic win!"
 I realize that everything I'm about to say about this word is going to make me sound like an ancient old grouch but I'm willing to take the risk.
 I also realize that people felt the same way about words my generation used (cool, rad, awesome).

That's okay.

You have the right to feel the way you want about words.
 And this word makes me feel itchy.

I'm not sure what that means but that's the best way I can describe it.

Itchy.
 One reason it makes me itch is because the only people I have heard or picture using this word in the manner mentioned above are a pretentious, patchouli-smelling, bohemian wannabe or a teenager that heard someone else say it and thought they needed to say it to be hip.
 I don't like either of those kinds of people.

I think they're called posers.

They're trying too hard.
 What is the definition of "epic" anyway?
 Webster says this: 
adj. grand, noble, legendary or heroic
 n.  a long, narrative poem celebrating in stately, formal verse heroic or grandiose events or achievements
 Neither of those definitions seem to fit the context in which I've been hearing it used.
 Itchiness aside, the main reason I don't like the way it's being used is that it diminishes its actual power.

It's overused and misused.

What will I say when I witness something truly epic?
 I will be at a loss for words.
 I don't like to be at a loss for words.

Can you even imagine that happening?

It would be epic.
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "Miller Family".

PS--I have nothing against teenagers or patchouli-smelling bohemians...unless they're fake or pretentious in which case I would rather just avoid them.

PPS--I already have two more giveaways lined up!  Woohoo for you!

4 comments:

WSMIL said...

Ditto to using words correctly (even though I seem to have forgotten how). And that first picture has my face before my morning cup of coffee, didn't see you sneak in and get that, impressive:) oh wait no the baby is MUCH cuter, nice looking family.

Anonymous said...

From the sounds of it you're a deep thinker. Because it seems that there is a little irony between thinking someone who uses the word epic is being pretentious, patchouli-smelling, bohemian wannabe. All words of which you don't usually hear. The way I look at it (which means nothing)is that there are a lot of words that we use in this world that we are not using correctly. And if we looked up the meanings we would be very surprised and may have a whole new vocabulary. That's my grouchy side and all I have to say about that. I love the baby pics.

B said...

Anonymous...My "thinker" is very shallow, so alas, it will never be considered what some call "deep". It's a pity really. But I've come to terms with it.

As to the pretentious, patchouli-smelling, bohemian wannabe...I don't think my using those words to describe the actual pretentious, patchouli-smelling, bohemian wannabe figure that's in my head will devalue any of those aforementioned words. Whereas using "epic" to describe a party sort of takes the zing out using "epic" to describe a battle or heroic poem.

And is it just a little irony? I hope it's a lot. I love irony and thanks for reading it!

M-a-licious said...

I always think of the Odyssey and Iliad when I hear the word epic. I haven't actually read them but they talked about them in school.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .