link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> I wish I knew more about music.... | Priester Photography

I wish I knew more about music....

so I could explain to you what I'm hearing when I'm at the shows at Bauhaus Kaffee,
But I don't, so I can't.
I can, however, tell you that this is Ian Lubar.
He sings and plays a guitar.

At least I think it's a guitar.
See?

I have no musical knowledge.
I particularly like this song.
I also like how he plays his guitar instrument.
In the really intense parts of his songs he plays it almost as if he's taking out the emotion of the song on it.
Does that even make sense?
Translation:  He goes to town on it.
Is that better?
He also does this fun little thing where he raises up on the balls of his feet during various parts of his song which makes it seem as if the music is coming from the tips of his toes all the way through his body and into the microphone.

I like it.
This same night I was also introduced to the musical talent of Woody Pines.
Thank you Tim and Kerry for introducing me to such great music.
I am eternally indebted.

Or something like that.
Now I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make a comparison.
I'm not sure comparisons are acceptable in the musical world of which I know nothing about, but here it is anyway...
Woody Pines reminded me a little of Pokey Lafarge albeit with a little less foot stompin', an equal amount of eyebrow raising, and a little more speed (the tempo not the drug).
Oh gosh.
I hope that's not offensive to either party.
Though I don't know why it would be as they're both amazing.
One of my favorites from this particular evening was called "Rich Gal, Poor Gal".
I think one reason I like it so much (other than the sound of course) was the fact that it involved audience participation.
I love an opportunity to yell out words to songs in a large group where no one can hear me.
It's as if I'm a singer for one whole song without the consequences of anyone actually being forced to hear me sing.
I like it.
I also like the way Woody tells his musical stories not only with his voice,
but also with his eyes.
Eyes are important for more than just seeing...
they can express so much by just a little twitch or raise.
Woody's do that and I think it adds to his performance...it makes it seem as if he's really relating a story to you rather than just singin' a diddy.
A diddy?

Did I really just say "diddy"?

Where does this stuff come from?
Now hear this:

I feel like I'm cheating you by my vague explanations about these shows/performers at Bauhaus.
I'm a photographer, not a writer.

I'm not good at painting word pictures.

I paint picture pictures.

But these don't necessarily do music justice.
My point?

Come to a show so you know what I'm talking about.

Matt and I will be celebrating our anniversary at the March 1st show featuring The Toughcats.
We'll have been married 15 years.

Fifteen years?!

Yes.

Matt says it only feels like 15 minutes...

under water.

I love him.
B

Up next:  An Illinois wedding

4 comments:

Corey said...

These are swell. I wish I coulda been there for that one.

M-a-licious said...

Ian looks like Gene Wilder.

WSMIL said...

It tickles me frequently how much he sounds like his father, and then London pipes up with something and I think giggle there goes another one, Priester men are the best (oh wait I didn't say that in public did I)! Ignore me.

Bell Lee Button said...

I like the guys fro! Haha. I need to go to farmington. I am intrigued by this kaffee!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .