link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> At one time in my life... | Priester Photography

At one time in my life...

I had no appreciation for rock musicians.

You know the kind I'm talking about...flailing guitar arms, lots of drum activity and very loud vocals (you could even call it screaming, perhaps).

I liked a lot of it and listened to it often, but I had the opinion that they had no "real" talent because all they could do was scream.  That's not singing.  It's screaming. 

Anyone can scream. 

I felt this way when most kids my age (late teens, early twenties) were all about hard rock.  It was cool.

It's needless to say that I was NOT cool.  Come to think of it, I'm still not cool.

Several years after having expressed this opinion that rock musicians had no talent, I had to make a long distance trip on my own.

It was on the return trip home that, while listening to the radio, I discovered that they do indeed have talent.

One of my favorite songs came on and since I was alone, and thus feeling uninhibited,  I belted it out.  I mean really belted it out.  I was imagining that I was on stage, flailing my guitar arm, rockin' out.

No holding back.  My vocal chords were pushed to the limit,

and they failed. 

They failed miserably.  I'm just glad that I didn't subject anyone else to that torture.

What do rock musicians have to do with this beautiful bride and groom and their wedding sneak peeks?

Let me just tell you...

  I was on the hour drive home from this wedding on a curvy, winding road. I was tired, exhausted and achy from holding my 500 pound camera all day.  I was cozily warm because I had the heaters blasting since it was  only five degrees outside.  I had the radio on.  Rock music came on and...

I was alone.

I didn't want to die in a fiery crash due to falling asleep at the wheel.  So I sang.  I mean really sang.

I would like you to note my findings:

1.  Vocal chords (like most everything else) do NOT improve with age.

2.  Rock music is very beneficial for keeping oneself awake and safe while driving (unless one starts headbanging...do NOT start headbanging).

3.  Despite how easy it may sound, not everyone can successfully scream to music.
 Just take my word for it.

4.  If you can sing/scream a rock song without sounding like a stuck pig, a dying cow, or a variation of the two, then you have talent in my book.

Up next:
More pictures, less talk.
B

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sneak peaks of Jaime's wedding. Can't wait to see more. Many, Many more!

Very nice work, I need family photos soon so I think I know who to go to! :)

Bell Lee Button said...

Awesome! She really was a beautiful bride. And i guess he was a handsome groom too, but sad to say everyone looks forward to seeing the bride wayyyy more than seeing the groom. Poor guy! Oh well. Can't wait to see more.

WSMIL said...

Ms. Button you should have seen my groom (very handsome) and the great surprise pics they took of him. I didn't have a great photographer (he was just getting started, I hope he improved). He positioned me once and then put everyone in around me, over and over, so there aren't any of these great bride pics. But then again B was just a babe and hadn't discovered this great inner talent. This eye that sees things like no one else and makes us see them too in ways we didn't know were possible.

These are incredible!!! The first one is typical you and not for everyone, but I really enjoyed the second version of it. The Audrey Hepburn pics are beyond amazing, but the textured one of the bride, GORGEOUS!!! And I'm thinking the story board is missing a word, but maybe that's just me:)

PS: I will not commit myself in a public forum on this discussion of rock music, but I love you for putting yourself out there, thank you!

señor taco said...

B- Rock music? Come on B, I've known you for a long time, you are a hip hop kid from way back. The second photo so far out of this group is my favorite, the bottom of the dress looks like a flower. 500lb camera? We don't stretch the truth a little do we?

WSMIL said...

It's called Hyperbole just ask Mercede and London:)

(still totally digging your name, hehehe)

Bell Lee Button said...

Haha well WSMIL, i guess you will have to show me those pictures so i can see them myself.Haha. B, i feel terrible i commented on the pictures but not your hilarious blogging that had nothing to do with the pictures. I can totally see you rocking it out. Oh, the things we do when we are bored and alone. Haha.

Lunsford said...

Bored and alone is a very bad thing for me, I have done some of my most stupid things under those cercumstances.

I love the pictures, can't wait to see more. From now on B I think you should put on your resume' that you photographed Audrey Hepburn.

Now about your musical opinions... I can just about enjoy any music. But I have a soft spot for screaming guitar and I have always thought that it would take more vocal ability to sing full chainsaw for two hours on stage like say Tina Turner or Janis Joplin than it would to sing sweetly like say Joni Mitchel or James Taylor. Mostly though just glad you found something to keep you awake, awake is always better when you are driving. No matter what the other drivers say to their passengers about you as they pass.

Anonymous said...

I have special attachments for the "Audrey" looks
you did a fabo job on all that I have seen in this. As for wsmil have seen her pictures and while she may not have had an "inspired" photog
they are not horrible and the majic that was captured was real. oh and yes the "boredom" of those not on camera was captured also. Who knows maybe, you (wsmil) may have been an unannounced inspiration for her vision of how things could be? She herself was a blushing bride at that time herself. When you can be apart of something (with nerves) and then get to re"see" it w/out the nerves perspective changes

LaVena said...

B, I am always surprised at your new "view" of things. What a wonderful eye you have.
You must try singing in the shower it is a great place to BELT it out. But don't be alarmed when the family runs in wondering if you are hurt.
BTW: I found your little fingers showing off on my camera. I took the lesson well and fully intend for you to keep showing me up. The running facet was coolness.

Mr. Scary said...

For the first time I enjoyed your commentary more than the pics...the many, many, many pics of the same 2 people. They're good, mind you, but attention can only be held so long.
To more important matters. Rock is not something you can really learn, it is more of a state of mind that is inborn in only a select few, the blessed if you will. If you have the "Rock gene" in your pool (gene-pool, not swimming pool) the sun is warmer, colors brighter and the whole world seems to be singing/screaming to you personally...at the top of it's voice. That gravelly, almost angry, determined voice that let's you know that you, my friend, ROCK!!!

WSMIL said...

if it's too loud you are too old! (old rock adage) oops, I almost revealed too much.

Señor Taco said...

For those about to ROCK!...(if you can fill in the rest, your cool and older than 30)

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .