link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Flax Seed and Fish Sticks | Priester Photography

Flax Seed and Fish Sticks

My sister and I recently had a conversation about shopping carts.
 It went something like this:
 Sister:  I was so proud of myself yesterday when we went shopping because my cart finally looked like I've always wanted it to look.
 Me:  How do you mean?
 Sister:  It was full of  fruits and vegetables and healthy things.
 Me:  Oh my gosh!  I know exactly what you mean!  
It seems that as I'm unloading my cart onto the belt I get more and more self-loathing as it becomes obvious that it's brimming with unhealthy, processed foods...

 and then I silently berate myself for not picking up at least one fruit or vegetable in an attempt to mask the presence of the Rhodes Rolls and salted butter.
 Sister:  Exactly.  And then I wonder what the person in line behind me is thinking about what's in my cart.
 Me:  Me too!  I get all self-conscious that they're comparing the contents of my cart to the size of my pants.

I've learned to unload all the junky stuff onto the belt first so if someone walks up behind me it might appear as if I'm truly purchasing quality food items for my family instead of  ice cream and bacon.
 Sister:  (somewhat sheepishly) Do you look in other people's carts?
 Me:  Absolutely!
 Sister:  Me too!
 After our little bonding moment over shopping cart obsessions, I thought a little more about it and realized that upon seeing what's in someone's cart I come to one of two conclusions...
 If they have a cart full of vegetables and fruits and whole grain this and that and organic stuff I conclude that they must be rich and I can't afford to eat healthy and they're just big show-offs with their fresh avocados and organic lettuce.
 And if they have a cart full of Little Debbies and frozen pizza and soda and everything unhealthy I decide that they better hope I remember how to do CPR because they just might have a heart attack right there in aisle seven.
 I realize that this is all very judgmental of me, but I don't continue to think that way...it's just the first thought that crosses my mind.

And then I conclude that we're all just trying to do the best we can and that for some of us the "best" involves whole grain bread and flax seed and for some of us it's more like Bunny Bread and frozen fish sticks. 
It should be noted that while I'm writing this I'm licking Nutella out of a jar.
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "Wilkerson Senior".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! ...and I love that I've become a show-off with the organic fruits and veggies in my cart. :-)
Manda
p.s. I do love Nutella though...

Anonymous said...

nutella is something else to thank italy for.
Seriously if you are not baking something specific...why would you buy unsalted butter. if you are putting it on bread "salted" or else just put vaseline on it otherwise no flavor.

WSMIL said...

Salted butter is good for you, whoever told you otherwise is sadly mistaken. And organic doesn't always mean healthy, fox news can confirm this:) I don't judge carts, I judge the people who are checking out in front of me with it already exposed on the belt. If it's it in your cart you could always gain selfcontrol and put it back. In front of me is the belt of no return, I figure they will eat the ice cream and put another notch in their own belt:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .