link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> I'm still tapping my foot, | Priester Photography

I'm still tapping my foot,

and the opening of The Vault was five days ago.
The night started with Sammich the Tramp.

She wrestled with her hat, pulled things out of her sleeve...
stuck her head through a toilet seat, and entertained us with her tightrope-walking flea.

He was cute.
I'm not sure everyone in the audience appreciated her sense of humor, but I thought it was great.  I loved the Charlie Chaplin-esque-ness of it.

(Yes, Chaplin-esque-ness is a word.  Look it up.)

It's not every day that you get to see a "punk rock hobo" in action.
This is Miss Tess.
I've had the privelege of being entertained by them before.
You can read about it and see the images here.
My opinion about them has not changed.
They still sound great and they're still on my ipod playlist.
One minute they sound jazzy.
The next minute they sound blue-sy.

And then all of a sudden I feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of a smokey 1930's bar surrounded by men wearing dress shirts with rolled up sleeves and Fedoras and women in slim daydresses and pinned back hair.
I guess that's why she's referred to on her website as "a musical chameleon".
You know what else is on her website?
A picture of her.
THAT I TOOK!
I realize that you may not find this as exciting as I do,
but it's exciting when you're a photographer and you stumble upon your image being used by someone.
Please note that I gave her permission to use the images that I took.
It is not exciting when you're a photographer and you stumble upon someone using your image without permission, just for clarification.
That made my day.
Because, in theory, when someone uses your image on their website, it most likely means that they like your image.
Which means that, in theory, Miss Tess liked my image.
Which works out to be a mutual thing because I like her music.

On to the main event:
I cannot express to you how wonderfully entertaining they are.
I'm smitten with them.
I apologize in advance to Joey and Adam (the two on the left), but the lighting was set up in such a way that when they came down off the stage for a more intimate show after their encore I couldn't get a shot of either of them.
So while it may appear that I have a crush on Ryan (the harmonica player), I really don't (yes I do) it's just that the light was pointed in his direction (it's really the crush thing).
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it (but MAN can he play a harmonica!).
I wish I could describe the way they sound for you and do it justice.
"Amazing" isn't descriptive enough.
"Timeless" isn't strong enough.
The way I put it to friends is this: 
"He's this tiny little man who looks like he just stepped out of the past somehow...you know that he's very young but he seems so aged/mature/wise...
you wonder how he's going to be heard over the clatter of beer bottles and hushed voices...
and then he opens his mouth and your left wondering where this sound is coming from."
I don't think he's real.
I mean, obviously he's real...I've shaken his hand, but I think he seems not real.

Which makes listening to him all the more entertaining.
It's mysterious and enchanting.

And fun.
Now that I've tried my best to explain the sounds of The Vault, let me attempt to explain the taste.
They have gourmet hot dogs from Jones Heritage Farm (I had the classic, but there are 7 other choices) on a fresh bun from Avenue Events (perfectly warm and yummy), Boylen sodas in glass bottles ( I LOVE glass bottles!) and  Billy Goat chips (perfectly seasoned and crispy).
They also serve Schlafley Beer and Charleville Wine.
In a word?

Scrumptious.

In a sentence?

Comfortable and yummy with a dash of adventure (the dog toppings).
If there were a bank exchanging good food, amazing music and entertainment...this would be its vault.
In other words, (in case you didn't get the analogy), The Vault, located at The Factory in downtown Farmington, is full of amazing music and entertainment in the same manner that a bank is full of money.
I'm assuming a bank vault is full of money.

I've never been in one.

I've been in The Vault...just not a bank vault.
I hope you think a bank vault is full of money too or else I've just written the worst analogy ever.

Though I'm sure it isn't the first (or last) time.

If you stuck around to read this ridiculously long blog post, there's one last thing...

I adore this picture.

Because it's a candid, contemplative moment and tells a story.

Not because of anything I mentioned earlier about a certain harmonica player.
B

9 comments:

Corey said...

These are AMAZING. Love the tones, the light, EVERYTHING. Well done indeed.

WSMIL said...

We all have a crush on the harmonica player! You shouldn't have told the world;) And my two favs are the last one (not like you said because of anything mentioned earlier) and the candid of Miss Tess (love her). The only problem of the evening is for almost a week chitlin county is in my head, and while this would not seem to be a problem my brain starts singing it at the most inappropriate times! uhoh here it goes again:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you captured the night. You write as well as you photograph.

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed this blog. I couldn't agree with you more...on everything! Also, your photos are amazing.
p.s. I have a crush on the harmonica player, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! You are so right about this place. Can't wait for the next event.

Anonymous said...

Great music, great food, great place!

Joni said...

great pics! i have a crush on ryan too!lol

Bridget said...

I love your photos and the harmonica player too...he's my son!

B said...

Very awesome...thanks for the comment! You should be very proud. He (and the whole band) have a lot of fans.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .