link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Entertained...and then some... | Priester Photography

Entertained...and then some...

I really don't know where to begin, so I'll start at the beginning...an original concept, I know.

Matt and I enjoyed our anniversary date at Bauhaus Kaffee watching yet another amazing show brought to the area by Tim and Kerry Smith of Unique Ink.
The opening singer was Ike Rose.

I was very impressed with his voice...it was so sincere sounding and polished...not something I expected from a kid I went to school with.
I'm not sure "sincere" is a word that one would usually use to describe someone's voice, but that's the best I could come up with for the moment.
The bad news is that he doesn't have a website for me to point you to in case you would like to hire someone that sings with what I call a sincere voice.
The good news is that he lives in Marquand, MO, so he can't be hard to find.

(This will only make sense to people who know Marquand.)

More good news...I found a video clip so you can hear the sincere voice.
On to the main event...The Toughcats!
Amazing is not a descriptive enough word for them.


I'm not sure I have enough words to describe them.
 But I'll give it a try.
  The lead vocal...in the Bad Penny hat...has a voice like butter.

Smooth.

Smooth and whispery.

Just the way I like it.
He also barely moves his mouth as he's singing which creates a somewhat surreal effect because you're not quite sure where the buttery voice is coming from at first.
 Enough about butter, it's making me hungry.

Did you know someone could play the fiddle on the banjo?
 I did not.

Until I saw this banjo player do it.
 He was so great to watch because you could tell that he was really having fun.

They all were.
 Now let's discuss the drummer.

Oh my.

I love him.
I wish I could be as unabashadly involved in my photography as he is with his music making.

Restraint?  He doesn't know what that word even means.
 I instantly decided that he reminded me of Chris Farley in his movements and Matt said he reminded him of Animal from The Muppets.
 Lest you think we sound mean in our description of him you should know that their own press kit contains a quote from a newspaper that says the following:

"It was never quite clear whether Mr. Greenlaw (the drummer) was playing drums or having an extended Tourette's episode."
 I agree with that statement wholeheartedly.

It was wildly entertaining.
When I noticed that he was playing not only the drums but a suitcase set up on end I was even more entertained.
 How do you decide to play a suitcase!?

The answer to that question is here.
 In summary:

I have not enough words to describe The Toughcats.

This blog post does not do them justice (sorry guys, I tried).
 You need to see them in person.

Now.
B

2 comments:

WSMIL said...

OK now I feel like I got to go on your anniversary date with you and how cool is that! Matthew said you had a great time and saw a great band, but now I get it, they play the suitcase what's not to love. And so much like the two of you, thanks for taking us along on your date.

PS: happy anniversary
yes I'm thinking about doing this all month (after all FNL and I keep saying it everytime we go anywhere even simple things((ie: we went out to breakfast at 6:30 this am and he leaned over kissed me and said happy anniversary)) awww still cute after all these years (ok it's sick to you but I like it;)

Mark Berry said...

Ike Rose the artist? I had no idea! good pictures.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .