link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> A Life Changing Hot Dog | Priester Photography

A Life Changing Hot Dog

Okay.

Not necessarily life-changing, but definitely inspiring. 
A hot dog can be inspiring? 

Let me explain:
 I have been in a creative slump the last few months.
I won't bore you with the details, but I was experiencing something that I gather happens to most artists.
 I'm not sure I qualify as an artist, but I've definitely got an artist's problems.
We'll just say that I'm an artist for the sake of conversation.
 A few days ago I was asked by the owners of The Vault to shoot their menu items, which obviously includes hot dogs.
 While I have been interested in delving into the genre of food photography for quite some time I've never had the opportunity or the initiative to do so.
 The owners of The Vault, Tim and Kerry, presented the opportunity.
I just had to come up with the initiative.
 I was really nervous about showing up at someone's place of business with camera in hand and very limited knowledge of what I was actually supposed to do with it.

(Side note:  I made Tim and Kerry very aware of the possibility that these pictures may have been a complete and total disaster...they were okay with taking the risk, I guess.)
In the back of my head I thought, "What in the world am I doing?  I have no earthly idea how to take FOOD pictures!  I take pictures of PEOPLE!"
Then I filtered around in the thoughts in the back of my head and pulled out these instead:

"I am going to take these pictures.  I'm going to make them look better than some of the other food shots I've seen being actively displayed at dining establishments and I'm going to make it fun."

 And then I did.

And they do.

And it was.
I also took the soda bottles home with me to shoot at my convenience.

 It turns out that "my convenience" was today.
 Again, I experimented, I shot, and I had fun.
 Now I'm not saying that these images are amazing or wonderful.
 I understand that they have flaws.

Many, actually.
 But I rose to the challenge, created the images with little knowledge on how to do so,
learned a ton of information along the way for next time, and most of all...
 I had a blast doing it.
 All because of a little, gourmet hot dog.
 Thank you, little hot dog.  You inspired me to create.
You can try out all the hot dogs and sodas I have pictured at The Vault, Tuesday through Saturday from  5:00 pm - 11:00 pm.

You won't be dissappointed.

And who knows?

You might find an inspirational hot dog as well.
B

16 comments:

Derek said...

I'm now starving! I'm glad you had fun, and I'm glad they won't be disappointed with your work!

Anonymous said...

Love them... you amazing artist, you!

Anonymous said...

By the way... that anonymous commenter... it's Manda. I didn't feel like figuring out my "profile" ;-)

Corey said...

These are great! Love the bottle shots.

WSMIL said...

Ditto to Derek and I just had breakfast! That said the pics of the bottles are killer! Really. Who would have thought pictures of old fashioned soda bottles would brighten my day, but considered me brightened (ok my day not me;))

Anonymous said...

Your experience with food photography looks like a success to me! (I "Like"d this blog on Facebook.)

SandraSkiles said...

Great job! Food looks delicious! I will have to find out where this "Vault" is and go there.

Anonymous said...

photo artist. beautiful, balanced, photos that speak 100 words each.

M-a-licious said...

I love the pictures of the bottles. (Say this next part in sing-song.) I've got a new desktop wallpaper.

WSMIL said...

Wow Mal we wanted them as a border in our game room, great minds think alike;)

Ashes of Abdication said...

I really like the pictures!! esp of the bottles!!! Really cool! I dont see any flaws!! How did you get the bottles to spill...if i wld have tried...well it wouldnt b pretty!! haha

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Weaner.

Bell Lee Button said...

Who would have thought a hot dog would actually seem appealing to me? Even scrumptious? Well it did. You are the hot dog genius B. Hot dog, hot dog, hot dog, what hat did they pull that name out of? Just a thought.

WSMIL said...

Ashes nice to hear from you again (her hubby said it was impressive what she had to do to get those shots). Ms. Button totally agree with you maybe somebody said wow that dog is hot;).

PS: it's April no more Happy Anniversary's until next year:) oh well it was a great month! except the weather would someone fix the weather;)

LA said...

Niki said, “Mom you need to look at Brandie's site". I looked then called Wayne in and he said “Man is she going to make some money". In his lowly opinion, he believes that is where your niche is. And just think about it, you don’t have to wait for the smile with food.

Ashes of Abdication said...

instead of oscar meyer it should be brandy priester has a way with taking pictures of h-o-t d-o-g!!! haha my little rhyme!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .