link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> My son's apparent lack of self-esteem... | Priester Photography

My son's apparent lack of self-esteem...

Because I don't have enough brain power to formulate and articulate deep, artistic-sounding thoughts about each of these favorite shots from a recent session,
I'm going to instead regale you with a story.
A story about my eight-year-old and his lack of self-esteem.
Shall we begin?

Let's.
On the way to school today and out of the clear blue he looks at me and says...
"I'm the dumbest kid in my class."
I assume that he's being overly dramatic about a missed spelling word or homework he didn't like.  Or  maybe just trying to get some positive reinforcement, because he didn't sound ashamed about this development, or even slightly concerned.
I looked at him and said, "You aren't the stupidest kid in your class...you're smart."
He says, "No.  Really, I am", in a very matter-of-fact way.
I'm contemplating how to respond to this and considering all the ways I'll most definitely be damaging his self-worth by doing so when he says...
"Wait a minute."

He then proceeds to count on his fingers and say...

"Nope.  I'm the FOURTH dumbest kid".

The end.

I guess if he's okay being the fourth dumbest kid in class, then I'm okay with being the mother of the fourth dumbest kid in class.

That's sort of my job, right?

I just wish I knew where he got his lack of self-esteem.

Is that how you spell "fourth"?
B


You can see the rest of the proofs fom this session here under "Reagan Baby".

7 comments:

Bell Lee Button said...

Those are soooooo cute! Where is everyone? My favorite is the last one and also the 5th one down.

WSMIL said...

I to wonder where everyone is. But with or without them these are great. And B I have a story about another boy who had a similiar point of view I will tell you about. Maybe it's a phase they all go through. He is so smart but sometimes even smart kids feel dumb. Way to be supportive!

Bell Lee Button said...

Ya my sister does the same thing. Which maybe she really is.....haha jk. Anyways, ya i still think i am pretty dumb, and i have people to testify for me......bookworm....da da dada( music from presidential song)...haha

Mariah Sage said...

Those pics turned out brilliant(do you get it B.?)! Love the umbrella ones. London is smart no matter waht anyone says, that includes himself, if that makes any sense.

Firefly said...

Wow! Those sre awesome pics,B ! My fav is the fourth one where she's like "are we done yet?"
So totally cute!!!!!!

Ashes of Abdication said...

AWWWW!!! that little girl is so cute!!!! and i love your little boys story!!!! i wish i cldve been there when he said that!!! i wld of dyied laughin!!!

Señor Taco said...

ashes, doniphan edgeumication dune gooder
fer you'ns that don't dyied.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .