link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Pinterest Perils | Priester Photography

Pinterest Perils



As a do-it-yourselfer I've noticed that with more and more people becoming do-it-yourselfers there seems to be an abundance of blogs and websites dedicated to proud DIY-ers showing off their creations along with instructions so you yourself can create right along with them.
Some of my favorites are Pinterest (of course), Young House Love, The Art Of Doing Stuff, Evie S., Not Martha, Ana White and....well, frankly the list is too long, but you get the idea.

There are a TON of helpful resources out there when it comes to creating something.

Anything.
 The only problem I have with this?
 These people are unrealistic.

Their projects are always so perfectly finished.

No flaws.
Everything is tidy and in order and well thought out.

It's like they put forth a ton of effort and planning into their project before they actually proceeded to attempt to create something.
 I'm more of a fly by the seat of your pants DIY-er.

At least that's what my sister said.
 I decided while the hubs was away for four days that I would:

Paint the girls bedroom.

Make them a bed and headboard.

Steam clean their carpet.

And make a table for the deck.
 High aspirations, I know.

I started last night at 7:00 with no paint, no direction and just a basic idea of what I was going to do.

I'm relating the following issues that have ensued for the comfort of you fellow DIY-ers that aren't as meticulous, clean, thorough or focused as the other DIY-ers we try to emulate...
 I bought Kilz for the bedroom because there were greasy footprints on the walls and I didn't want them showing through my new paint job.

It was lumpy.

I didn't think it was supposed to be lumpy but I didn't want to go back to the store for more because it was already 7:30 and I hadn't even started yet, so I stirred it like a crazy witch brewing up a poisonous stew and went with it.

It went on like pancake mix.
I ruined two pair of perfectly good yoga pants because I a.) didn't want to go through the trouble of changing and b.) thought I was perfectly capable of painting one room without getting paint all over my legs.

Apparently one ruined pair wasn't indication enough.

I'm a slow learner.
I said this a lot:  "Seriously??!!"

I may or may not have thrown some things in anger.
I was pulling a nail out of a pallet (which the headboard is being made from) and when it came loose I wasn't braced for it and nearly did a somersault over the boards with hammer in hand.

I should probably wear a helmet while DIY-ing.
I used the jigsaw while wearing flip flops.

I'm sure that's not OSHA approved.
I got paint in my eye.

Don't ask.

After flushing it with water and eye drops it seems fine.

Hopefully it's not glued shut in the morning.
I took the ceiling fan blades off to make it easier to paint the ceiling.

When I went to reattach them I realized that there are more screw holes than need be and I wasn't sure which holes the blades went in so I winged it.

The fan is now making a knocking noise.

I hope the kids don't get chopped to bits in their sleep.
One bed is finished.

One headboard is ready to be attached.

The bedroom is painted.

We steam cleaned the carpet.  It is in the process of drying.

And I'm in the process of painting the trim, so my entire bottom half is soaking wet with carpet cleaner water.

And it itches.

To be continued...
B

PS--Every muscle in my body hurts and I think I may have a dislocated rib.

You can see the rest of this session here under "Owens Senior".

3 comments:

Stephanie Lynn said...

Wow. I'm impressed. There are way more things on the finished list than I thought there would be.

Whenever I do any strenuous physically activity that my body regrets later on, I just tell myself that I don't have to feel bad that I didn't go to the gym that day since I got a workout anyways... Then I eat some chocolate.

WSMIL said...

It looks really good, so you should pat yourself on the back for all your hard work:)

Lunsford said...

I would way rather watch that DIY show than any I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong they have some good ideas on those blogs and shows but they hardly ever make me laugh.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .