link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Polar bears like Dr. Pepper | Priester Photography

Polar bears like Dr. Pepper

I have a solution for all of you who have a problem with "it's" versus "its" (myself included).
 It's actually super easy.

You simply replace "its" with "her" and if it makes sense then you're golden.
 For example:  The polar bear speculated about why its genus had been chosen to drink Coca Cola since they actually all prefer Dr. Pepper.
Instead you could say, "The polar bear speculated about why her genus had been chosen to drink Coca Cola since they actually all prefer Dr. Pepper", and it still makes sense.
 Well, maybe not so much sense, but you get the idea.
 When it comes to "it's", it doesn't work that way.

"It's" actually means "it is" or "it has" so you can't replace it with "her".
 For example:  The cheetah, confounded by the price of gas said, " It's better that I should run rather than miss my pedicure appointment."
That makes sense.
 This does not make sense:  The cheetah, confounded by the price of gas said, "Her better that I should run rather than miss my pedicure appointment."
 Now does that sound correct?

No.
It does not.
 Which is why I'm trying to help you.
 So you don't mistakenly sound like a 3-year-old while you're talking about animals getting pedicures and drinking Dr. Pepper.
 Because if you're going to personify animals (as I'm sure you will) and you want to be taken seriously (which you definitely do) then you must use proper grammar.
 Trust me.

I have experience in these dealings.
B

PS--I am not a grammatician and neither do I claim to be.  I realize I use commas and ellipses in all the wrong places and have many, many run-on sentences (to name just a few issues).  Feel free to correct me as you wish.  This is simply some handy advice coming to you from a mother who learned something from her 4th grader.

You can see the rest of this session here under "Allgier Family".


1 comments:

Derek said...

Don't get me started. A guy I work with thought you put an apostrophe before every S. Really?

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .