link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Slop Pile Excavations | Priester Photography

Slop Pile Excavations

We have a slop pile.

For you city folk...a "slop pile" is a pile in the backyard in which you put your "slop".
And "slop" is food scraps (or that rotten artichoke that you didn't quite get to fast enough).

Some people refer to this as "compost" but we've always called it a slop pile and probably always will.

For much the same reason that I call the refrigerator the "icebox"...because my parents were evidently old school and I'm stubborn in  my ways.
Taking out the "slop" each evening is one of the kids' jobs and has been handed down from the oldest till the youngest.

As the older child learns to do the dishes the younger one takes out the slop.

I remember sending Mercede out with a bucket and a spatula when she was probably only three or four.

Responsibility people!  Chores equal responsibility!

At least that's what they say.
This evening Matt and I decided to revamp our compost bin as it appeared to be disintegrating right before our eyes.
Part of this renovation involved shoveling the rotted food parts (which is now mostly dirt) into the wheel barrow and spreading it around the lawn (which serves as fertilizer).

We delegated this responsibility to the girls (shoveler and barrow pusher) and London (dirt spreader) while Matt (measurer and nailer) and I (board cutter and carrier) rebuilt the enclosure.
In the process we found (and subsequently killed) two snakes that were in my scrap wood pile.

(See Instagram pictures to the right.) 
Now to the interesting part (at least I think so)...
In the process of sifting out the good dirt from the still not decomposed compost (slop) this is what the girls found:
a spoon
a spatula
a ladle
and my favorite pair of Revlon tweezers.
I have two things to say about this:

1.  There is never a dull moment with children and also lots of questions that will never be answered.

and 

2.  Teaching children responsibility comes with a price...namely missing tweezers and kitchen utensils.
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "Matthews Family".

2 comments:

lunsford said...

This is why I love your blog, I can see all the pretty pictures and as a bonus I end up feeling better about my kids. I have come to the conclusion that asking why is an exercise in futility when children are involved.

WSMIL said...

I'll think of something to say as soon as I stop giggling:) Another happy Monday thanks to you!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .