link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> I like pizza, Steve. I LIKE it! | Priester Photography

I like pizza, Steve. I LIKE it!

Someone recently demanded (nicely) that I blog some recipes to accompany the food pictures that I've been posting on Instagram.

I am here to serve, so here you go...

I made pizza tonight.

Here's how:

(Keep in mind that I took these shots with my phone so you can't judge my photographer abilities based on these pictures.  Well, you can, but it would be a bad judgment call on your part.)

Start with homemade spaghetti sauce.
I would give you the recipe for mine, but then I'd have to kill you because my mother-in-law would kill me for sharing her "secret" recipe and it would just be one big blood bath and spaghetti sauce is supposed to result in togetherness and shared spoon licking (to test the sauce), not murder.

So find a good recipe on the interwebs and make it a tad bit spicy.

Then get some pita pocket bread.

(Don't pay any attention to the grease behind the bowl.  I put that there on purpose to add to the ambiance.)

I used this kind tonight ...
but it's 90 calories for half a pita and the Thomas brand that I used before is only 60 calories for a whole pita, so use those if you can find them.

(The white pita was an accidental purchase because I don't like white bread stuffs but if you do then go for it.)

(Also, I may have purchased the Thomas brand pitas at Aldi but I can't remember.)
  
Cut your pita in half like this:
Don't fret if you lose a hunk of pita here or there.

Just don't forget to deduct the calories for the missing pieces.

Kidding!
Slap those babies on a cookie sheet (preferably one that has burn marks and stains on it like mine)...
and broil for about 3 or 4 minutes on high.

(Someone should come clean my stove for me.)
The goal is to crisp up the pita a bit.

I could've actually cooked these for a bit longer...maybe 5 minutes...or until they're a little bit brown but I'm impatient and also I have problems with forgetting things in the broiler so I didn't risk it and took them out at three minutes because that's when I remembered they were in there.
Broil yours at your own risk.

Now take some of your amazing spaghetti sauce...
and ladle it onto each piece of pita.

(I have recently been informed that I should put the cheese on before the sauce so the crust stays crispy but do whatever floats your boat and just thank your lucky stars if you don't have a husband that cooks because he will hang over your shoulder telling you you're doing it wrong ALL the time.)
Add seven pepperonis (or eight if you're feeling adventurous).
Add olives to one (for Matt) and mushrooms to the other (for me) and then forget to take a picture before you add the cheese so take the picture after you've added cheese to just one side like an idiot who obviously does NOT specialize in cooking or cooking instructions.
I used about a half cup of mozzarella on each side.

Pop those babies back under the broiler...
for about five minutes or until they look like this:
Cut them into pizza-like slices.
Don't forget that step.

It's crucial to the flavor.

Stick it on a plate (optional)...
and then nom, nom, nom away.

The best part is that you can nom, nom away for only about 360 calories for that whole "personal" pizza.

If you used the Joseph brand pitas and substituted the pepperoni for a better meat you could make them for even fewer calories.  You could also do a veggie pizza which would take this over the top healthy.  And the kids and I made one the other day with ham and pineapple that was delicious.

I'm also thinking there could be a way to make a good dessert pizza with this.

I always start out healthy and then gradually gravitate back to dessert.

It's in my blood.
B

3 comments:

WSMIL said...

Thanks for not giving my sauce secrets away:) You truly remain my favorite daughter-n-law;) And thanks for the pizza recipe! Granted it will be hard to make your FNL go along with it because he does make the best pizza on earth! But in the interest of losing weight I think he will go for it:)

Anonymous said...

I believe the bottles in your instagram are liquor bottles but unsure of the brand that was in them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe, youngest daughter tried it last night, made supper for the whole family... it was delightful! Next...

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .