link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Grandma 4.0 | Priester Photography

Grandma 4.0

The internet has replaced grandmothers everywhere.

You don't believe me?
Here's my observation:

Seventy five years ago, if you were a young lass (or laddie) keeping house and you found yourself in front of a terribly dirty bathroom you would know how to best clean it with baking soda and vinegar or soap and lemon juice or the grease of a freshly killed pig or some such thing.

Why?
Because your mother or grandmother taught you those things because their mother or grandmother taught them...they were tried and true methods that womenfolk (and menfoldk) knew worked and so they passed it on.
Fifty years ago if you were a young lass (or laddie) in the kitchen and you were confronted with a butternut squash/zucchini/pomegranate you wouldn't have to flounder around trying to figure out how to cut it, prepare it and cook it because the women before you would have already shown you or they would be there to show you.
We don't have that now.

We have the internet instead.
Do you need to know how to clean the ring out of the bathtub without the use of a hand grinder or a sandblaster?

Ask Jeeves.
Have you never attempted to prepare a butternut squash and find yourself confused by its hard outer shell and odd shape?

Look it up on Pinterest.
Don't worry your pretty little head about trying to get a hold of granny (she doesn't know how to use her cell phone anyway)!  

Just hop on the ol' internet machine and all your questions will be answered.

Plus some you've never even thought about.
I guess I'm just a little bitter that my generation has somehow missed out on the comradeliness of generation after generation passing down little helpful secrets and tricks of cooking and housekeeping.

It's a club I can't join and I don't like it.
I'm going to go nurse my wounds by making this awesome Almond Joy Cheesecake that I found on....errr...that my grandma gave me.

It's on old recipe she used to make with her grandma back on the plantation.
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "Reid Allgier".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN

LUNSFORD said...

I would agree, exept that I love the internet when I know that the obsessive compulsive part of me will not be able to sleep until I remember the name of the band that sang that song in that movie that I saw when I was in 8th grade and I can just ask bing and then watch the video on youtube and sleep like a baby. None of my grandmothers could do that for me.

LUNSFORD said...

Oh and I love it when you give the toddlers cake!

Anonymous said...

Yep the internet remembers more than grandmas...but you can't climb on it's lap and get a real hug...and a cheerleader for just little old you

WSMIL said...

Love these pictures! And I have to say ditto to Lunsford, I love when you give toddlers cake:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .