link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> More Fun Than Clean Clothes | Priester Photography

More Fun Than Clean Clothes

A few months ago I decided to do something creative with my broken washing machine.

Some people call this "upcycling".  I call it "playing".

After about an hour of tearing off the outer shell of the machine my hands looked like this:
But my reward was this cute yellow spring:

(All these pictures were taken with my phone so excuse the quality.)
 I have no idea what I'll do with it, but it's not every day that one discovers a giant yellow spring whilst taking apart one's washing machine, so I'll probably keep it as a souvenir.

After some prying, a little unscrewing and lots of banging this is what I ended up with:
 This is the view from the top:
Enter more banging, some grumbling and some help from the husband and the father-in-law. 

And then I found this!!
 I know.  Pretty uninteresting, but it's a cute little shape anyway.

Up next came strenuous scrubbing with this:
Along with some of this:
 At which point it still looked like this:
 Which was not acceptable, so I borrowed my dad's power washer and blasted it.

Then I spray painted it with metallic silver paint.
 Put two can lights in it and set it on the ledge above my coat closet.
I think it looks pretty sweet.

 Particularly the swirly patterns of light it throws.
 This is the view from the top of the stairs.

Oh.  I topped off the rough edged metal pipe thingy with a silver doo-hickey from the local handy-man store that I think actually has something to do with a furnace part.

But it totally worked for my purposes. 
 I bet I'm the only person in my town with a gigantic washing machine drum nightlight.

It's the little things that make me happy.
B

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Thats awesome!! Very pinterest worthy!

WSMIL said...

Vacation is always nice, but I miss you when I'm gone. I'm glad you got this made, because I've been excited to see how it was going to turn out. FAB!!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .